toddherrold
download module and .mov, mpg, quicktime player

i search all over the site and couldn't find prior posts on this issue. I am having trouble getting mydownloads 1.04 module to redirect properly to .mpg and .mov files. when a user clicks on the download link, it comes up with garbled text, when it should initiate QuickTime to play the file. Other file types that play in Windows Media Player work fine.

Anyone seen this behavior? I tried to use the debug feature but it didn't give any information on the dead pages. Running 2.0.7.3

Eugney
Re:download module and .mov, mpg, quicktime player
  • 2004/10/27 3:09

• Eugney

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/25

wait if you want to stream something you need streaming softwear

brash
  • 2004/10/27 3:26

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

This will be your server Mimtype settings. For your server to know what to do with a particular type, you'll first need to ensure that the mimetype settings are correct.

toddherrold

thanks for the advice. i checked the mime types on my server and they include .mov and .mpeg files, so i don't think that is the problem. the movies are not truly streaming, they play as they download.

I forgot to mention that this problem only occurs when the user clicks on the download link, which utilizes a redirect to the download file. I have included the exact same link as the Home Page link in each download area, and if the user clicks on this, the file will download and play normally.

You can check it out here:

http://www.hotdogblog.com/modules/mydownloads/

Clicking on the "download icon or link" will result in an error for .mpeg and .mov but will initiate play for .wmv files. If the user clicks on the "HomePage" URL, the files will download and play normally.

mrjingles
  • 2004/12/12 15:08

• mrjingles

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/10

Hi, I also have the same problem with my site.

Does anyone have any idea how this can be solved (I see that todd has moved to the wfdownloads module, but I do not want to do this) ?

If you want to see the issue then go to : http://www.paddysworld.co.uk/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=43

and try to download an avi or mpeg file. They will not open in the media player but just a load of rubbish appears on the screen. If you open a .wmv file though there is not a problem.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance!!

mrjingles
  • 2004/12/28 16:29

• mrjingles

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/10

Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas or should I just give up?

Thanks in advance,

Mr Jingles

martyboy
  • 2004/12/28 17:12

• martyboy

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/5/25

Hi, you could try using the debaser module, you can use it to stream many media files and there is a setting in admin to allow for downloading of the files also, it is a very good module. You can add other mediatypes and players also if you have the correct mimetypes and HTML for the players.

You can see an example on my site here http://mjtkop.com/home/modules/debaser/

toddherrold

i was never able to resolve this problem with the default download module, so I upgraded to "wfdownloads" and the problem was resolved. that plus wfdownloads is far superior any many other respects compared to the core module.

madsen
  • 2005/6/21 10:17

• madsen

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/1/24

Hi!

I'have just stumbled on this problem with a site that I have. Has anyone found a solution to this other than using another module?

//Madsen

Login

Who's Online

216 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 216

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits