intel352
Re: Bragging about my multisite modifications :-)
  • 2004/12/16 13:43

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

hrmm... something like that might be doable. i'll keep that in mind while i work on this

Brice
  • 2004/12/16 23:42

• Brice

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/29

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
hrmm... something like that might be doable. i'll keep that in mind while i work on this

Hi bd_csmc,

Great!

I am not a good programmer, but I can be a beta tester and contribute about documentation how to use this module.

Cheers,

Brice

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/17 16:45

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

Quote:
My need is to provide a registered user with a certain right or priviledge to create simply a new site ( with subdomaine name and or a specific domain name) just by clicking and filling a form.

Like a simple 'free host'? Automation is always better.

Quote:
I am not a good programmer, but I can be a beta tester and contribute about documentation how to use this module.

Dudes, I am in as well. I have nothing better to do with my massive hosting account (or until my site is launched).

Thanx again!

intel352
  • 2004/12/20 6:40

• intel352

• Module Developer

UPDATE:

okay, i'm developing multisites with 2 main thoughts:

1. a site admin would want this capability, to easily clone sites and reduce administration worries

2. each site wouldn't necessarily need unique data, so in my own use, i'm implementing small modifications to modules and their database tables, referencing a 'sid' value (site id), the site id is defined in each site's mainfile.

when i originally developed my multisite mod, i followed the same line of thinking that already existed, which meant that a ton of database tables were getting replicated, which in practice, seemed a bit useless to me. i also still had the same problems with administrating multiple sites, since in many ways, the sites were still separate.

well, now i have ALL tables uniformly shared (except for the sessions table. i need to make a slight mod to that, to use the 'sid' value, and i'll be good to go). i even have the config tables shared, and xoops_config has a new conf_sid value, so that certain entries can be assigned to certain sites.

the only implementation of conf_sid that i have in place at the moment, is a mod so that any value with conf_catid 1 or 3, pulls data specific to it's own site (so, i can have sites with different settings for site name, theme, etc, and also the site's meta settings)

this greatly eases module and site administration, as i'm now able to change something like user settings, and it take effect across all sites.

also, i can now install a module on one site, and it'll install across all sites (and eventually, i'll implement the sid mod further, so that i can install modules individually on certain sites)

another area this is useful in, i've modified wf-downloads and a few core XOOPS functions, to use sid when necessary. so, for wf-downloads frontend, i have downloads and/or categories only show to the users for it's associated site, yet from the backend, i can manage all downloads for any site.

very nice

Brice
  • 2004/12/20 10:19

• Brice

• Just popping in

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:
UPDATE:

okay, i'm developing multisites with 2 main thoughts:

1. a site admin would want this capability, to easily clone sites and reduce administration worries

2. each site wouldn't necessarily need unique data, so in my own use, i'm implementing small modifications to modules and their database tables, referencing a 'sid' value (site id), the site id is defined in each site's mainfile.

Wow!! Man, You're a Genious !

I will use my words to confirm if I am undertanding well what the great functionalities you provide. So, with this I can :

1. Create a site as a model.
I customize this original site with:
- default modules ( as many modules as I want) installation and setting
- default setting of user/group permission
- etc.
- Now this model site is ready to be duplicated or cloned
2. Create a clone site from the previous model site

- Just with one click, I create another site, and for example if my main domain name is mymall.com, I will have a site name like this : myshop1.mymall.com
- Of course, I can modify my site name at will, except if the name "myshop1" is already used.
- If needed, I can provide my own domaine name like : www.mybutifulsite.com

3. Customize the cloned site with another modules, another security and/or user group permission.

4. If necessary, I can install a module to the originate site and it will take effect on all the cloned sites.

Am I understanding well?
It is great and I am really excited to test this module.

Another question I would like to ask you is :

1. Is it possible to let a normal internet user who is a registered person to create his/her own site, just with one click after filling a form which describe his/her site?
He/she can upload photos, logo and text to customize his/her site.

2. Is it possible ( with some modification) to add a payment module, just before the person can be allowed to create a site?

3. As a web master, it is possible to be alerted by e-mail or what ever, when a site is created?.

I am sorry with so many questions !

Thank you so much for your great job.

Cheers,

Brice

intel352
  • 2004/12/20 12:50

• intel352

• Module Developer

at it's current state, each site is a constant clone of the next, i.e.- all sites are the same, except for things like url, theme, meta tags, sitename, etc etc.

but, in spite of each site having the exact same set of modules, exact same data, etc, if i implement small modifications in the modules, then each site can have it's own unique data in the modified modules, such as what i described with wf-downloads

the next step, is i need to work up a way for each site to be able to hide installed modules. currently, if you install a module (on any site), it's installed on ALL sites. i just need a few more modifications, so that if a site doesn't need some modules, then the modules are just hidden, so sites could then be unique concerning what they have visibly accessible (you may not want a news or forum module on all sites).

as for easy creation of sites, that will just require a script, and all each site will need is a mainfile.php & it's specific entries in the config table. i'll be working that part out soon.

for allowing users to easily create a site, yes, i believe that could be done, and you could use my xDonations module to auto-add them to a group (upon donation) that will give them access to create/manage their own site, and yes, sending a mail would be a menial task.

Brice
  • 2004/12/20 13:28

• Brice

• Just popping in

Quote:

bd_csmc wrote:

as for easy creation of sites, that will just require a script, and all each site will need is a mainfile.php & it's specific entries in the config table. i'll be working that part out soon.

Thanks alot.

Quote:

for allowing users to easily create a site, yes, i believe that could be done, and you could use my xDonations module to auto-add them to a group (upon donation) that will give them access to create/manage their own site, and yes, sending a mail would be a menial task.

Fantastic, that what I want to get as functionalities.
Thank you very much.
I am excited and can't wait to use it soon .

Cheers,

Brice

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/20 16:54

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

If a module is installed across the whole network, you could put menu in theme or use a custom block/module to display main menus, thus showing subject content.

Although your plans will help to divide content to categories, I feel your '3rd thought' as you build this should be categories/subject management. My main site is the main menu with all recent content, sub-sites hold category content.

I will invite people over from this thread who may have interest here.

intel352
  • 2004/12/20 17:19

• intel352

• Module Developer

Quote:

Wheeler wrote:
If a module is installed across the whole network, you could put menu in theme or use a custom block/module to display main menus, thus showing subject content.

Although your plans will help to divide content to categories, I feel your '3rd thought' as you build this should be categories/subject management. My main site is the main menu with all recent content, sub-sites hold category content.

I will invite people over from this thread who may have interest here.

using site id, we can limit content to specific sites. so, with a further modification (an additional option per site, maybe), could pull *all* content, or certain categories. it could be an override over the content's individual site association.

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/21 16:45

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

bd_csmc,
I really appreciate the work you do. Although, I must ask, how long until we see a release? This is so I can manage my time to provide a testing period.

Login

Who's Online

150 user(s) are online (104 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 150

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits