sferrier
Changing MySQL's root password
  • 2004/12/19 7:12

• sferrier

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/17

While I've searched the forums here and found no other reference, Google groups seems to have many references to this problem - but with no cohesive or applicable answer from what I could find.

I'm working with a default, first-time install of PHP, Xoops, MySQL, and Apache. It's my first time working with all of these, so please forgive my ignorance.

Basically, everything works fine until I try to change my root MySQL password from null to anything. Then everything goes wrong. phpMyAdmin won't connect, neither will Xoops, despite entering the appropriate password in config.inc.php or mainfile.php, respectively. The odd thing is that the Windows version of MySQL Administrator *will* connect with the new credentials, which (as far as I can see) proves that there is nothing wrong with MySQL itself.

Has anyone else had problems with this? Please tell me that I'm not on cheap drugs, here. Any help is most appreciated.

Cheers,
Shawn.

DonXoop
Re: Changing MySQL's root password

That sounds like your PHP is compiled with a MySQL client that is too old for your MySQL version. Either upgrade/recompile PHP using a newer client library or downgrade MySQL to 4.0.xx.

And of course you won't be using the root account for xoops....

sferrier
  • 2004/12/20 6:55

• sferrier

• Just popping in

Quote:

DonXoop wrote:
That sounds like your PHP is compiled with a MySQL client that is too old for your MySQL version. Either upgrade/recompile PHP using a newer client library or downgrade MySQL to 4.0.xx.

And of course you won't be using the root account for xoops....

I'm using the latest versions of everything, since I just recently installed everything. Apache v2.0.52, PHP v4.3.10, MySQL v4.1.8. I'm using binaries, though, on Win32.

While it wasn't my intention to use root as my production server, but I tried creating a user with full rights to the XOOPS database, but that user doesn't seem to work either. While I can connect to the database using the MySQL Administrator with the 'xoopsroot' user, the home page won't load. If I edit mainfile.php to use the 'xoopsroot' user, I get the error:

Quote:
This page cannot be displayed due to an internal error.

If you are the administrator of this site, please visit the XOOPS Troubleshooting Page for assistance.

Error [Xoops]: Unable to connect to database in file C:\htdocs\class\database\databasefactory.php line 34

I'm assuming that the XOOPS database user needs full control to the XOOPS database? It doesn't need any other rights to the 'mysql' database or something?

Thanks,
Shawn.

sferrier
  • 2004/12/21 6:41

• sferrier

• Just popping in

Found my issue. Had to do the 'OLD_PASSWORD' thing, per the article here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html

Cheers,
Shawn.

Login

Who's Online

254 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 254

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits