Bassman
Re: net2ftp module
  • 2004/12/9 21:41

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

Hi netkarma,
I'm checking on the first one for you, i'll let you know as soon as I can.

Regarding the login issue - it could probably be done, but it then assumes you will be logging in to the same FTP server every time, which may not necessarily be the case for everyone, since the whole idea is to be able to log in anywhere.

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/12 17:55

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

I installed the net2ftp_v1-0_bassman from sourcefourge. I just followed the instructions so I can't reply to any requesting help, yet. It works perfectly fine except...

I can't find an admin section!

What I want to do is set a user's access permission to one directory (e.g. freehost.mysite.com/username/). The net2ftp interface will be in the users edit profile page for private access. I will input the ftp address (unchangeable) so they just enter a password and are in the correct directory.

I want to share my bandwidth with members. I don't mind manually setting users up with accounts or cloning net2ftp. I only have 10 or so ftp accounts (with permissions) at my host so I don't want to give those away.

(off topic) Is there a module that creates a directory named 'username'? I could integrate net2ftp with it. Is anybody doing something similar, have a solution, or module? Thanx

Bassman
  • 2004/12/12 21:02

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

Wheeler: Sorry, just got your question. There is no admin section. The Net2FTP script that I based the module on, only had a small admin section that was used to view FTP logs, which proved to be more trouble than it was worth to convert. I don't think it's possible to do exactly as you want.

netkarma: Your answers are below.

Quote:

I tried the module...gives me a 'Script halted' status after about 30 sec execution.. I did change max timeout settings in php.ini to 600 but it still returns with the same.

Your reply, from the actual script developer -
Quote:

As you know, PHP scripts are stopped when they run too long -- when the run time exceeds the maximum script timeout setting.

This can be a problem for net2ftp users because it could interrupt a file transfer.
Therefor a shutdown function is registered (register_shutdown_function).

On *nix this shutdown function is only called when the script is stopped after the timeout. On Windows though this shutdown function is always called, even if the script only ran for 3 seconds.

To solve the problem on Windows, the script run time is measured, and the warning message is only displayed when it exceeds max_execution_time - 1 second.

The relevant portions in the code are
index.php: register_shutdown_function("shutdown");
/includes/filesystem.inc.php: shutdown()

Quote:
How about authenticating users directly from their portal user accounts ? - instead of having them login again ?

Your reply:
Quote:
net2ftp doesn't store any username or password. It just passes them on to the FTP server.
So to have the same password, there are several options:
-- More secure option: each XOOPS user has the same username/password in XOOPS and on the FTP server. This would require to synchronize the passwords. Obviously this would only work for your own FTP server, not for all. It is possible to restrict net2ftp so that users can only connect to one FTP server -- see settings_authorizations.inc.php.
-- Less secure but easier option: once logged into Xoops, a user could access net2ftp without having to enter anything -- no username, no password. It is possible to create a URL which brings you directly into one net2ftp screen; look at the Bookmark functionality of net2ftp. Normally when using a bookmark a popup window appears asking for a username/password, but this can be eliminated (some code must be changed, but that's easy). If you're interested in this option, let me know.

I hope this helps.

Wheeler
  • 2004/12/12 23:20

• Wheeler

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/10/29

Quote:
What I want to do is set a user's access permission to one directory (e.g. freehost.mysite.com/username/)

Can't even do this? This is of most importance.

Bassman
  • 2004/12/12 23:59

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

No, sorry.

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits