rudycash
Xoops Gallery - my hosting company changed some settings and...
  • 2004/12/11 8:56

• rudycash

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/2/12

now it doesn't work.

On wednesday I started to experience some problems with some of my sites.
I think it has something to do with 'SAFE MODE' or something.

Basically all my galleries have disappeared. I am using netpbm and now I get this messgage

'Note: Your NetPBM directory (/home/docuwedd/public_html/netpbm) is not in your open_basedir list (specified in php.ini):
/home/docuwedd
/usr/lib/php
/usr/local/lib/php
/tmp
So we can't perform all of our basic checks on the files to make sure that they exist and they're executable.

We are going to test each NetPBM binary individually. If you see errors, you should click here to see more details
Checking /home/docuwedd/public_html/netpbm/giftopnm
Error! (Expected status: 0, but actually received status: 127)

Checking /home/docuwedd/public_html/netpbm/jpegtopnm
Error! (Expected status: 0, but actually received status: 127)

etc etc

I am not clever enough to set up imagemagik

Can anyone help. I need my galleries back asap as this is losing me business

Is it a permissions thing. I have contacted my hosting company but their tech help has not replied.

rowdie
Re: Xoops Gallery - my hosting company changed some settings and...
  • 2004/12/11 9:50

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

Maybe try uploading the netpbm folder to one of the folders that was listed in the message, not a subfolder. Then change the settings for the location of netpbm in xoopsgallery.

Rowd

rudycash
  • 2004/12/11 10:04

• rudycash

• Just popping in

I've tried installing netpbm in a different location and changing the path. It still doesn't work and I've just had this message from my service provider.

Quote:
"It has become necessary for us to enable Safe Mode for PHP on your server. Safe Mode adds many security features to PHP that we unfortunately can no longer operate without. It was necessary for us to enable safe mode as a matter of urgency to prevent any potential further disruption to service for our clients.

Having looked into this it appears that you are running the xoopsgallery module and unfortunately this has not been coded to work in environments where safe mode is enabled. Therefore unless there are modifications for xoopsgallery to enable it to work in a safe mode environment, and for example to make use of PHP's built in GD image manipulation functions, it will not be possible to run your current gallery software on our servers."

We do of course understand that this causes problems for your script and we apologise for any inconvenience that this will cause, however unfortunately we are not going to be able to change the current setup to allow this functionality again. The changes that we have made are for
the increased security of your server and are vital for us to be able to continue to provide a secure and reliable environment for all of our clients."

rowdie
  • 2004/12/11 10:12

• rowdie

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/7/21

I suggest you head over tohttp://xoopsgallery.org/ and ask the module developer if he knows of a solution.

Rowd

Peekay
  • 2004/12/11 19:25

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

I would change host. Many ISPs enable safe-mode as a knee-jerk reaction after a hacking attempt. We use three hosts, two with safe-mode ON and one (our XOOPS host) with safe-mode OFF. Out of the three, it was one of the hosts with safe-mode ON that had their server hacked in September. PHP safe mode played no part in the attack at all. It is by no means 'essential' for security.

I have no doubt that the small print in your service agreement enables your host to do exactly as they please. However, they have changed their terms or service in mid-stream, which has a direct impact on your ability to continue using them as a supplier. I would change host and demand a refund for the portion of the year for which you were unable to use their service. Whether you succeed in getting a refund is another matter!

If you do shop around, be sure to check any prospective host's PHP info file (normally called phpinfo.php) to see exactly what they offer. If their website doesn't have a link to a PHP info file, I would be very careful. Many hosts offer cheap PHP/MySQL hosting, but the service is often severely restricted. Safe mode may be on, you may not be able to use gd-lib, PHP upload may be disabled. One member of this community was offered free hosting and unlimited bandwidth - but the host automatically changes folder permissions from 777 back to 775, due to what they call 'security' issues.

If your host 'hosts' your domain name too, check that they do not charge an extortionate amount of money to transfer domains away from themselves to another registrar. As competition has increased, hiking-up domain-transfer fees has become common practice in order to make leaving prohibitively expensive. Check their TOS every year and keep screen-shots or a printed copy.

rudycash
  • 2004/12/11 20:18

• rudycash

• Just popping in

Thanks

I am moving hosts -

davidl2
  • 2004/12/11 21:39

• davidl2

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2003/5/26

The hosting provider I use is XOOPS friendly :)

www.3dpixelnet.com

Login

Who's Online

238 user(s) are online (169 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 238

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits