Shocky
Website running very slow...
  • 2004/12/9 22:05

• Shocky

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/8

Well we installed XOOPS 2.0.7 on our server, and it runs very slow. We also have a site running on the same server, but straight HTML which runs very fast. Is there something I'm missing? I have gzip turned on, and I enabled any of the caching options I could find.

XOOPS Site (Sorry about the URL, look at my last post to see why it's named that)
http://phpnuke.chicagolandsrtclub.com

Standard Site
http://www.chicagolandsrtclub.com/

Anyone can take a look at it if it helps them.

brash
Re: Website running very slow...
  • 2004/12/9 22:37

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

More often than not XOOPS performance issues come down to what modules you are using and/or wether or not you are utilising the XOOPS caching system fully.

If it is slow due to the modules you are using, then you will be best off to contact the modules developer. If it is caching then read on . Module caching, while worth it, is not usually the culprit when it comes to performance. Most sites are dominated by blocks, and it is these blocks that are (as a group) going to knock your site performance around the head like a red headed stepchild. Have a read of this thread where we were able to reduce the page execution time from a high of 4 seconds down to a pretty consistant 0.09 seconds, simply by using the XOOPS caching functionality.

Shocky
  • 2004/12/9 23:06

• Shocky

• Just popping in

8.571 Seconds | 37 Queries

Does this sound like a server issue? 8.5 seconds to do 40 queries seems excessive. Also, does the number of querries seem high?

brash
  • 2004/12/9 23:34

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

For the main page of a site (depending on setup) 37 queries is in the ballpark of what you'd expect. Execution time on the otherhand is somewhere in another dimension, and you have a genuine perfromance issue here by the looks.

Are you able to give use a little bit of a low down on your XOOPS environment?

Things like;

- Server hardware (specs and are you using a dedicated server or shared host)

- Operating system

- Webserver

- Database server (is it on the same physical hardware as the webserver)

Also what modules do you have installed, and what do you have on your homepage. Infact, a URL would be handy. Time to look up your profile (if your site is not listed there, please list it here).

Shocky
  • 2004/12/9 23:50

• Shocky

• Just popping in

Thanks for the help. I did forget to turn on block caching, so I turned that all on.

Now it's down to 2-6 seconds and 17-60 queries.

The server is run by our hosting company, so I don't really know the hardware. I do know it's running linux and apache. I also know that the MySQL server is a different box from the webserver.

The webserver is http://phpnuke.chicagolandsrtclub.com
while the MySQL server is running at:
mysql.chicagolandsrtclub.com (different IPs for both)

What we have installed mainly is phpBB 2.0 and php iCalendar. You can see it all from our site. If you want a test login, login as: user: csctemp, pass: csctemp. That should get you access as a normal user without you having to setup an account.

Thanks again!

brash
  • 2004/12/10 0:08

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Are you still getting 10-30% packet loss when pinging your database server as you stated in the thread on your site? What are the pings time averages that do get through? Are you using persistent MySQL connections in your XOOPS config?

BTW, it is not a good idea to cache your Main menu or user menu. Any block/module that requires to return live data is not suited for using with the XOOPS caching system as it is.

Shocky
  • 2004/12/10 0:17

• Shocky

• Just popping in

Persistent connections is off.

The ping problem seemed to go away for now. Hopefully for good. Normal pings are like 10-30ms from the webserver to the MySQL server.

I'll go change the menus to not have caching. I was just trying to see what blocks caused the most delays.

brash
  • 2004/12/10 0:25

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

You may actually benefit from turning persistent connection on as the overhead of recycling a connection in your situation is probably going to be less than establishing a new one from scratch. Worth a try anyway. 10~30ms seems a little high for servers on the same LAN (assuming they are). Inless the servers are under quite a bit of load, I'd be expecting ping times to be consistently under 10ms. Are you able to do a trace route from the webserver to the database server? If you can't, can you give me the TTL value from your pings?

Shocky
  • 2004/12/10 0:30

• Shocky

• Just popping in

traceroute to mysql.chicagolandsrtclub.com (66.33.194.104), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
1 gw-66-33-192-1 (66.33.192.1) 4.402 ms 4.321 ms 4.522 ms
2 indianajones.gwen.dreamhost.com (66.33.194.104) 8.745 ms 9.148 ms 8.865 ms

Seems as time goes on it gets faster. I did just turn on persistent connections, and it seems to speed it up just a bit. Page loads are still averaging around 2 seconds. I'm just wondering why ours is so slow compared to everyone else getting 0.5s or faster.

brash
  • 2004/12/10 0:36

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Different subnets, that is going to be a performance hit . Mind you I'd say most shared hosting services are setup this way as a security measure. Can't be sure as I've never used shared hosting services myself. Don't know what we can do from our end from here, but 2 seconds for the amount of queries you are running is not great .

Login

Who's Online

116 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 116

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits