JasonMR
Re: Can we run a theme contest?
  • 2004/12/8 22:49

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Quote:
Ok, I'm done babbling now.

...you are not babbling, but providing valuable input...this is exactly what we need

I absolutely agree with the money-issue, and your statement about the benefits of winning such a comp (no matter really which cat you win).

You shouldn't shudder by the thought of competing with Incarma, Sudio C, or anyone else regarded as the crem-de-la-crem of XOOPS Theme Design...see it as motivator, use their work as inspiration!

I see this as another attribute of the comp - inspiere people to do better!

Further, I don't regard this as a one time event....though we will first plan it that way, and then after the comp, we can use the experience gained to decide on how and if we will do it again...first get it done, and see how it goes, then we can speculate about XOOPS Theme Competition future...

Who else has something to say about this? Even if you don't plan to participate, what are your ideas? (directed towards the general XOOPS public! )

brash
  • 2004/12/8 23:29

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/4/10

I also tend to agree that money might cloud the intended aims of such a contest. However, I do feel the same way as Jmorris about the thought of trying to compete with the top level designers. Not something I can help, a feeling of inadequacy is something that comes naturally when going up against the best in an area where you are still developing your skills. Won't stop me from having a crack at it though .

One question though, if templates where to be included in the judging, then what templates should be included? Are we just talking system templates, or are we talking about modules as well. If we are talking modules as well, which ones, and who is to decide this?

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/8 23:48

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

Templates

As it stands currently, I would leave out templates. In the future, XOOPS will be distributed without any modules, besides the system mod.

But maybe this could be a follow up contest...taking the winning theme, create matching template sets? Wouldn't this also suffice the feelings of inadequacy?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but guys, this is your problem! If you have an issue with selfconfidence, don't force others to reduce their standards! I suggested for each cat a "Rising Star", which would celebrate the efforts of those non-professional/upcoming/learning/etc. theme designers. Why don't you believe this to be sufficient?

JMorris
  • 2004/12/9 0:01

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Quote:

JasonMR wrote:
Templates

As it stands currently, I would leave out templates. In the future, XOOPS will be distributed without any modules, besides the system mod.

But maybe this could be a follow up contest...taking the winning theme, create matching template sets? Wouldn't this also suffice the feelings of inadequacy?

Sorry if I sound harsh, but guys, this is your problem! If you have an issue with selfconfidence, don't force others to reduce their standards! I suggested for each cat a "Rising Star", which would celebrate the efforts of those non-professional/upcoming/learning/etc. theme designers. Why don't you believe this to be sufficient?

There's no problem with self-confidence here. It's a matter of giving everyone a chance. That was the whole point behind the Rising Star suggestion in the first place. Believe me, I'm not at all afraid to do my homework and expand my knowledge. Nor am I afraid to compete against those who are better than me. It's a matter of alienation. If you put the greenhorn against the guru, the guru is going to win. Rarely is there an exception to this. Not only that, but the participation level will seriously suffer if people think that they have to compete against the pros.

Besides, what harm is there in having 2 categories for pros (or the willing victims) and having one category dedicated to the lesser experienced?

Bassman
  • 2004/12/9 0:09

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

The only problem I see with that is, who decides who is a "Pro" and who isn't? I've done a few themes now, but I in no way consider myself anywhere near the equal of Incama, StudioC etc.... Yet others may want to put me in the same category, simply because I have done a few themes and have my own themes site.

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/9 0:13

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

One question : who's a pro, and who not? How are you going to judge this?

I guess I'm just a little anal and rightous.

Never the less, all this talk about extra cat, I still can't see how the Rising Star cat doesn't fulfill just this purpose....

brash
  • 2004/12/9 0:14

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

JasonMR wrote:
Templates

Sorry, there was some mention of templates a few posts back, and I hadn't read anywhere (until now obviously) where they had expressly been taken out of the picture. I might have missed it though.

As for the inadequacey comment I made, it seems you have totally missed the point I was trying to make. It is not a matter of self confidence, it is a matter of realistically knowing your skill level releative to the best in the trade. I'm not suggesting that they be penalised for this in any way, what I am saying is that it IS going to be an issue to take under consideration for encouraging others to participate. The rising star idea is a great idea that I think will go a long way to bridging that gap, but there are no doubt going to be others that just see it as being all too hard and move on. I do like the idea Jmorris came up with as far as having a beginner and advance cat. Although this might also be adding a layer of complexity we don't want.

Eugney
  • 2004/12/9 0:21

• Eugney

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/7/25

I would have to agree with bassman

brash
  • 2004/12/9 0:22

• brash

• Friend of XOOPS

Quote:

JasonMR wrote:
One question : who's a pro, and who not? How are you going to judge this?

I guess I'm just a little anal and rightous.

Never the less, all this talk about extra cat, I still can't see how the Rising Star cat doesn't fulfill just this purpose....

I also think you aren't fully seeing the viewpoint of a beginner here Jason. Like a few others participating in this thread I have released a few themes, but by NO stretch of the imagination would I consider myself a "pro".

As for who is to decide, why not the designer submitting the theme?

A suggestion;

When submitting a theme to the contest, the person submitting the theme selects which cat (pro/beginner) they wish to compete in.

Pro: Goes into the running for having there theme used in the XOOPS default themes. Strict compliance to submission criteria is required.

beginner: Does not go in the running for being included in XOOPS default themes. Compliance is a little more lax, and constructive information is given on each theme in the areas where they could do better, and how.

Both levels have a rising star award, and as the submitter is in control of what level they wish to submit to, then they will also be fully aware of the level of competition they are up against. To prevent semi-experienced designers from flooding the beginner section, all themes submitted to the beginner section deemed worth of the pro section by the contest judges would be bumped up.

Both categories have rising stars

JMorris
  • 2004/12/9 0:51

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Thank you so much, Brash for more eloquently stating exactly what I was thinking.

Also, please note my original statement.

Quote:
...or the willing victims

Like Brash said, the submitter would decide what category they should compete in.

The rising star (as you propose) does not fulfill this in that most newcomer themes are *most likely* going to look like slop next to more experienced themers, even if it is quite good. Therefore, it would be difficult for an inexperienced themer to attain recognition. When dealing with something as subjective as this, it is important to even things out where you can.

I just see a real potential for the new theme designer to be alienated from competition if they know that they will have to compete against the gurus of the field.

We're only talking three categories here with six awards.

Pro - Artistic Impression
Pro - Technical Proficiency
Rising Stars General (Both artistic and technical)

You could also specify that once you have competed 1 or 2x in the Rising Stars category, you must compete as a Pro for all subsequent cometitions.

Just trying to pose alternate view points.

Login

Who's Online

317 user(s) are online (191 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 317

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits