tl
Re: xaraya and mambo vs. xoops
  • 2004/12/5 1:45

• tl

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/6/23

Quote:

by jurgis on 2004/12/4 17:58:12

Hi, I am more of programmer than designer. and thats my experience of my two sites of XOOPS for communities of about 300 peoples (10% really active - submitters):
XOOPS is my first CMS to live with.
* Fluent instalation
* quite intuitive admin panel (backend) - thoug sometimes was time consuming to deal with access rights..
* smarty wasn't of big (or maybe even any) use for me..
* was time-consuming to find and make up the design we wanted
* I managed to hack some modules, but didn't manage to make up my own (even a blank one..).
** because there were not enough docs
** for me XOOPS OO seemed compicated to code according to it
* was hard time (well, more of "took a while") making up horizontal dynamic menus
* my XOOPS theme loads slower than mambo sites I know (well may be I overloaded it with js.. - for dynamic menu and and ability for modules to collapsehttp://somsa.ktusa.lt/xoops)

With so many drawbacks of XOOPS and so much virtue of Mamboo, I am very surprised of seeing you sticking around. I would have expected you actively helping other Mambo users instead of wasting your time here.

Every system has its strengths and weaknesses, one chooses the one that best fits his/her needs.

To me at least, Xoops' strength is the extensibility, it is second to none, not mentioning the cleanness of the core systems. I am not a programmer and I don't have any problems hacking and making my own customized modules. Simply taking a look how the XOOPS developers had coded their modules would yield a great deal in developing your own module.

Xoops is not perfect. If you are a user of Xoops, make sugegestions to make it better. Otherwise, don't use it and no one appreciates your bashfulness.

jurgis
  • 2004/12/6 20:23

• jurgis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/20

Quote:
With so many drawbacks of XOOPS and so much virtue of Mamboo, I am very surprised of seeing you sticking around. I would have expected you actively helping other Mambo users instead of wasting your time here.

well, for recent projects I prefer mambo to xoops, but Ilived with XOOPS for two years and I like the community :). And of course I'd like XOOPS to be better :), so I point out what are shortcomings for users like me.
well from time to time I think, it's a pitty, that there are so many portal systems, with quite similar purposes, but with quite different feature-packs. My dream is to see XOOPS and mambo (and moodle and e-groupware) merged someday some (positive) way
of course moodle and e-groupware have their specific, but it would be nice to have some standart way to integrate/join such systems easily. well, You see, I'm a dreamer

jurgis
  • 2004/12/6 23:32

• jurgis

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/3/20

* well I had primitive idea with shared logins for several portal systems to be used symultaneusly (would be intresting to hear some feedback, as mambers are not very geeky ;)

* well, looks like portal system with (nearly) all kinds of features ishttp://tikiwiki.org . Google doesnt show something very bad about it. You can compare problems of tiki and xoops (well number of pages found might mean not only that XOOPS has more problems, but also, that forums are more actively used ;).

* some more short and quite "to the point" overviews of PS's

ps.: well, I don't intend to misvaluate XOOPS -- I try to compare things, in order to make a better choice..
pps: somewhy I wasn't allowed to edit my last post? (probably I am loosing my XOOPS karma (or maybe after edits are allowed only in current session..))

twitaman
  • 2004/12/7 0:27

• twitaman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/7/28

I looked at a lot of other CMS tools when I was trying to decide which to use. I went with XOOPS because I noticed that the forums were friendly to beginners like me that don't have a lot of code experience.

Like everyone else it depends on what your needs are I guess. But I will say this for a CMS to be first class in my opinion it has to be: 1) Easy to install 2) modular 3) straight-forward admin 4) a robust built-in content management system 5) a fully-featured easy to use wysiwyg editor.

None of the CMS tools I looked at had all these features, but XOOPS had 3 out of 5 and that's why I chose it.

Login

Who's Online

189 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 189

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits