joelgomez
How to modify php files (for translation purposes)?
  • 2004/12/6 19:09

• joelgomez

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/12/6

I installed the latest ENGLISH version of XOOPS last week. Later (once I worked a lot on XOOPS configuration), I downloaded the "spanish module/pack". I copied (FTP) all its contents in the "languages" folder... then in the configuration menu I choosed "spanish language". I found that only 50% or 60% of the menus & legends changed to spanish, so I need to get into the code to translate menu names and simple things like:

"Welcome to Radical Off-Road 4x4 Forum.
To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below."

I have opened so many php files and I simply can not find where to change this kind of legends and even the menu titles. Can anyone simply tell me where can I find these files (and which ones shall I open)?

My final question, if I re-install XOOPS with the spanish version, will I lost all my configuration, information and forum posts???

Regards,
Joel Gomez
http://www.radical4x4.com

coopersita
Re: How to modify php files (for translation purposes)?

I haven't tried doing this, but it seems that you translated all the core (system module) language files, but not the module ones.

Inside each module (/modules/newbb/language for example) look for the language folder, and then in there should be the language files. You may have to translate each module on their own.

Perhaps someone that has done this can help you...

joelgomez
  • 2004/12/6 23:00

• joelgomez

• Just popping in

Thanks NameZake/Coopersita!

I'll try your suggestion tonight. I hope to have luck!

joelgomez
  • 2004/12/9 22:47

• joelgomez

• Just popping in

Can anyone provide further help on this matter? I'm currently running a "spanglish" web site!!!

Best Regards!
Joel Gomez

JasonMR
  • 2004/12/10 0:15

• JasonMR

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/21

Hola Hombre!

What coopersita said is absolutely right, and needs to be checked on your site thoroughly.

Each module needs to have in its language folder a folder named spanish, with the appropriate php language files (most commonly main.php, admin.php, modinfo.php..).

BUT this might still leave you with a few words in englich (or what ever lang was the prefered of the module developer), as many modules do not adhear strickly to the creating language constants for all words/sentences displayed, but rather hardcode them.

To find them, you need to look at your site, then find the page where you don't have spanish, check the URL, and then open that file in an editor, and change them by hand.

Sorry for the inconvienence....hope this is the hint you were looking for....

joelgomez
  • 2004/12/10 0:39

• joelgomez

• Just popping in

GRACIAS Jason!!! I was hoping to find a simple solution... I'm a lawyer but I have pretty well knowledge of HTML, so... it seems I need to start learning PHP and CSS!!

Login

Who's Online

474 user(s) are online (157 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 474

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits