wired2
does anyone know how to have a form submit to the database
  • 2004/12/4 21:51

• wired2

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/12

does anyone know how to have a form submit to the database, send conformation email to submitter and admin can view the submissions in database view hopefully a php page, not in an email. I am trying to have users rsvp for weekly events, send conformations if list is still open, and view/sort in one location as opposed to going through 200 emails every week. I would be willing to make a donation to the person who can help me out with this.

jdseymour
Re: does anyone know how to have a form submit to the database

How about creating a dummy user account to accept pms for that purpose. Just a suggestion, maybe not a good one.

wired2
  • 2004/12/5 1:10

• wired2

• Just popping in

thanks for the reply. well not exactly what i have in mind. i already use a script system in which i recieve emails with the names and events. i'm looking to tie the form in to the database and pull the info from one location.

jmass
  • 2004/12/5 1:52

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

There are several modules in beta that will provide a flexible DB input for flexible forms.

Mith is working on a Survey module
Draven is porting phpSurveyor
jegelstaff has Formulize which should be released soon - please

Until these are ready you will need to hand create a module for your purpose. Really not that hard, but harder than it needs to be if the above modules were available.

wired2
  • 2004/12/5 2:31

• wired2

• Just popping in

hhmmmm.... thank you for your reply. i will look into what these cats are up to.

jegelstaff

Quote:

jmass wrote:

jegelstaff has Formulize which should be released soon - please

Maybe over the holidays, but probably shortly after in January. And I should mention that it is not in Beta. It is currently in use in a production environment with over 1000 users.

Draven just started a thread about PHPSurveyor here:

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=28093

And for anyone interested, I posted some info about Formulize in another thread here, on page 2 (this thread has some info about Mith's module too):

https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=26987

In a nutshell, Formulize is an ad hoc form creation and reporting tool. It's based on Formulaire.

You can use its graphical interface to create any kind of data entry form you care to have, Status Report, Registration Form, Activity Log, Task List, Inventory Tracker, any kind of situation where you're filling in a form to record data in a database.

The data is stored in the database, and can be reported on (searched and aggregated) using the integrated reporting tools. You can also save reports for your own reference, or publish reports to other users.

There is a detailed permission system that lets you control which groups of users have what level of access to which forms. There are also some "advanced" features that let administrators submit data on behalf of other users (manual entry), and let you link two forms together so the entries in one field in one form become the options in a field in another form. And it's tied into the XOOPS notification system too.

As I mentioned in that other thread though, it's a little rough around the edges. It's pretty much bug free (there's some minor stuff on the admin side that there are workarounds for), but under the hood the code is a bit messy, making refinements and improvements a challenge. We're doing a small bit of cleanup, and some documentation prior to release.

We have some far out plans for where it might go in the future. I would like to see some flexibility added to the front-end user interface, so you can pick what "screen" is the default for a particular form (either the "add an entry" screen or a specific report), and also the ability to define some reports and set them up as dedicated links in the navigation UI for that particular form, so you have fast access to the really useful views of the data.

For example, this would let you create a form such as a task list, define some "views" or reports on the data that has been entered, set one of those reports as the default view, and thereby essentially create a "task list module" for XOOPS, without any programming whatsoever.

There's a very basic demo available here:

http://demo.freeformsolutions.ca

There are two forms in the "Form Menu" when you login, and they show the two basic kinds of forms that are possible (there's a couple other variations too): multiple entry (Activity Log) and single entry (Conference Registration).

(JMass, the Conference Registration form is newly added to the demo.)

We're looking forward to working with the community on future versions of Formulize in the new year.

--Julian

wired2
  • 2004/12/6 23:25

• wired2

• Just popping in

Julian,

So looking forward to this release. It sounds like you have really put a lot of thought and work into this and I am sure the final product will be perfectly suited for my needs. Awesome

Login

Who's Online

222 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 222

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits