ryanstev
Organising articles
  • 2004/11/28 8:33

• ryanstev

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/11/28

I have just installed XOOPS and am trying to migrate my data over.
I have searched and searched, but cannot find out how to do something so incredibly simple:
I run a tourism website and I want to make a page "Far North Towns"
Inside that page I want a list of towns and inside each of those I want one more level of page, Accomodation, Restaurants, etc.

I have searched the module repository, searched Google, and it looks like this isn't possible???
Is that true?
I've installed 4 or 5 different cms modules and they only let me go two levels, when I need 3 levels.

jdseymour
Re: Organising articles

You can do this with thw topic manager in news 1.2.1 for sure.

Make a topic "Far North Towns" then a subtopic inside that "Towns" then another subtopic "Destinations?."

I am pretty sure most article management modules allow this, although I have not tried them all.......yet.

ryanstev
  • 2004/11/28 12:05

• ryanstev

• Just popping in

Thanks, but that doesn't work at all.

I need the pages to be one click away, using the news module puts pages in the archive, etc.

The closest to what I need is using the sections module, but it's not quite good enough.

jdseymour

Check out WF-Sections, or Smart Sections. Not sure if they would work, but much more configurable than the built in Sections module.

ryanstev
  • 2004/11/28 12:18

• ryanstev

• Just popping in

Thanks, that's much better than the normal sections, it's not *quite* what I wanted, but 98% is good enough, so I'll use wfsections.

Thanks again.

timtak
  • 2004/11/30 1:05

• timtak

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/3/12

I am having difficulty doing the obvious too .

I have some content (also tourism related). I would like to put the content on my site, with a menu of categories and perhaps some subcategories. (Restaurants, Hotels, Places to Shop, Nature -> Parks).

I tried adding the content in the sections module but the sections are displayed in a seperate area of the site and categories (the section names) are not added to the navigation menu om the left hand side, nor are the section contents displayed in the central column of the homepage. Indeed when I click sections there is a default heading saying "Here you can find some cool articles that are not presented on the homepage." Why should sections not be displayed on the homepage? There seems to be no "block" for sections, so I can not ask it to be displayed in the middle (or anywhere else). I am surprised the sections are displayed at all!

So I gave up on Sections....

I try putting the content as news articles but again news categories are not shown in the main menu. And anyway "news" seems like a strange thing to main site content.

I am not sure what wf-sections or smart-sections.

But in't there built-in was of displaying some content accessible with a side menu? I am used to blogs, and this is the basic layout of a blog (some content, some categories, a side menu).

Do people normally use "News" or "Sections" to post content to their web sites?

(Is there a menu control area, with a list of checkboxes for which items one includes? The main left hand menu seems to be full of XOOPS module names, even though I don't really want them there. For example I might want the ocassional poll on the right, and I have selected polls to be on the right, but why is there a menu link to polls on the left? I did not mean to ask it to be there. )

Sorry to be so stupid. There must be an easy way of doing this.

Tim

jdseymour

First on the links in the menu, any link that you do not want showing in the main menu - go to the admin modules page and just put a zero in the weight. They will no longer show in the menu.

I personally use the news module, but I do not have the categorization that you require. That is why I suggested WF-Sections or Smart-Sections as they, I believe, will give you much more control of categories.

The best thing to do is download a few modules that might work. Try them, any questions on usage ask. And you should be able to find what you need.

jdseymour

First on the links in the menu, any link that you do not want showing in the main menu - go to the admin modules page and just put a zero in the weight. They will no longer show in the menu.

I personally use the news module, but I do not have the categorization that you require. That is why I suggested WF-Sections or Smart-Sections as they, I believe, will give you much more control of categories.

The best thing to do is download a few modules that might work. Try them, any questions on usage ask. And you should be able to find what you need.

timtak
  • 2004/12/1 11:08

• timtak

• Just popping in

Dear JdSeymour,

Thank you very much for your quick response. It is very kind of you.

Used as I am however, to web sites with conent and menus, I am really surprised that it is necessary to upload a special extra module to get some menu arranged content on the main web page.

Another problem is that conent uploaded to the "sections" module does not come with any form of WYSIWYG editor (unlike news).

Is this really the way that XOOPs site managers add content to their sites? Is there no way of having a menu to the categories in the news section?

I will upload wf-sections now. By the way, the ownly one I could see on the modules download page was the "tweakes MF-Sections with pdf support"
http://family.dreamgearweb.com/content/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=2&lid=1

Tim

timtak
  • 2004/12/1 11:14

• timtak

• Just popping in

WFsections seems to be very powerful, a sort of XOOPS within XOOPS.

The person I am supervising already has 15 articles in "Sections." Will i need to write them all again to get them in WFsections? Oops. WFSections and Sections seem to be totally seperate.

Tim

Login

Who's Online

488 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 488

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits