intel352
Re: Module Dev Forge
  • 2004/11/29 21:14

• intel352

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/11/23

just so you know, you're more likely to receive responses on *any* question here at xoops.org, since this community is more active.

if you had posted something similar to this same post, in dev.xoops, you would have gotten maybe 1 post today. if that.

lol.

so nah, the more active and experienced users are generally here. dev.xoops is where we segregate the guys that don't like crowds

jmass
  • 2004/11/29 21:23

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

I just thought I would add that I really like the idea of read only access for non project people and contribute access for those associated with a project. It seems to be a nice compromise. The forums are kept useful, and those not involved can benifit.

I have a project (not a very good one BTW), so I have access. But I thought this would be nice for those who don't.

Just my 2 cents.

As for
Quote:
it just seems to be the usual issue where you have beginners on one side of the fence in a pen segregated from the experienced people who don't want to help the beginners out of the pen when it comes to their playground.

I think that you will find that this is so NOT the case with Xoops. I am still a noobie, but everyone is always very helpful. Even when I ask detailed questions that are out of my depth. I am amazed how quick and often the best admins answer.

Mithrandir

Quote:
I just thought I would add that I really like the idea of read only access for non project people and contribute access for those associated with a project. It seems to be a nice compromise. The forums are kept useful, and those not involved can benifit.

Weelll... yes.

It's not because we want to keep ourselves separate from "the crowding masses of n00bies" - but keep in mind that the closed forums on dev.x.o are also the place for module developers to discuss security matters, such as cross-site scripting and SQL injection issues. Definitely NOT something we would like just anyone to read (I'm not saying that we have a lot of those discussions - but it would be the right place to have them )
We can of course only open SOME forums to the public, but then we have to be sure that noone accidently posts such sensitive information in a public forum and yada yada yada. Sorry, I'm stretched too far to add that to my workload when I cannot see that the information in those forums are of much interest to the casual/new developer.

As bd_csmc correctly states, the activity on dev.x.o is very low. In the forums at least.

Looking at the latest threads on dev.x.o, I see things like module caching manipulation, "orphan" module ideas, charset issues and questions about the core. For the beginner, this is quite useless information.

Yes, beginners need to be led and will "take" more than they "give" - at least in the beginning - and I don't want to turn them away, if they have a desire to learn.
In general, I welcome new XOOPS module developers to dev.x.o at any given opportunity, as long as they show that they are willing to do their part of the work (I don't mean giving back straight away, but I do mean that when they ask a question and get an answer that involves some reading/testing/trial-and-error then they DO read, test and try) - a good project description is the first step on the way.

To return to the situation at hand, I do think that it would be best for you, rpclarke, to study existing modules, reading these forums and asking your questions here until you are more at home with the XOOPS way of doing things. Many more people frequent these forums than dev.x.o and you are more likely to find existing answers to your problems here than on dev.x.o for the time being.

Once you have the basics laid out and want to continue your work with such things as Smarty templates, comments, searching, notifications, group permissions, object orientation in the module code - then I think it would be a good time to join the dev.x.o community.

Login

Who's Online

103 user(s) are online (40 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 103

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits