MS-2001
Copyrights
  • 2004/10/28 17:42

• MS-2001

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/27

Is it ok to remove all copyrights from the modules i use when i put them in the imprint ?
for exemple: agenda-x, xcgal, theme

Mithrandir
Re:Copyrights

You must keep credits in the source code - but you are allowed to remove visible-to-users elements.

MS-2001
  • 2004/10/29 9:01

• MS-2001

• Quite a regular

sure? so it's ok when i remove all copyrights which are visible to users? (not editing the sourcecode)
that would be event better

Mithrandir

It's your site - your code. You have completely free hands to do with the code whatever you want. As long as you do not distribute the code to others without the original credits

MS-2001
  • 2004/10/29 10:08

• MS-2001

• Quite a regular

ok, thx a lot. going to remove the copyrights now ;)

zoullou
  • 2004/10/29 10:41

• zoullou

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/3/2 0

But if you like XOOPS you can put a picture at the bottom of your site with a like to xoops.org :

Resized Image

script_fu

I knew you could remove copywrite from the core but had no idea that all the modules fell under this also. Why is there a difference between the core, modules and themes pertaining to copywrite?

Mithrandir

No - everything is GPL (images in themes can be copy-righted, though)

script_fu

Here is a very restrictive license from 7dana.
---------------------------------------------------
http://www.7dana.com/download/pafiledb.php?action=license&id=1&file=33

You must agree to this license agreement to download 7dana-jane
All design produced by 7dana.com is protected by copyright .
You are allowed to use these themes only if you agree to the following conditions:

1. You may not remove the "Design by 7dana.com" footer text without our permission or unless you pay the license fee to do so.
2. You cannot use images from this theme anywhere else without our permission.
3. You can convert this theme to another software, but converted style must have our copyright.
4. If you modify this theme it still should contain our copyright because it is based on our work.
5. Original or modified theme should not be available for download without our permission.

<< This software is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY. >>
-------------------------------------------------------

So if you change the images you can remove the link?

Mithrandir

I won't call a lawyer on you for doing so - what SevenD will do is not for me to say. And how a judge will rule in this case, I cannot guarantee.

But basically, when the work is released and "the work" is code (be it Smarty, PHP or HTML) that requires XOOPS to work properly, then it is covered by the GPL (open a theme's theme.html in your browser and it looks awful - hence my reasoning is that XOOPS is required to use it properly)

Taking the default theme and changing the CSS and adding a bit of javascript does not make it non-GPL in my eyes (note: I am NOT saying that this is what SevenD is doing - it is an example!)

When that is said and done, if your site does not suffer from it, a bit of credit cannot hurt. I even have a link to 4thefort on my company's website - because I want to thank for the theme, I'm using. I could remove that link - but so far I have not found a reason to do so.

Login

Who's Online

479 user(s) are online (60 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 479

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits