iolai
Theme developing with Linux
  • 2004/9/23 21:06

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

I am about to move to Linux (Mandrake 10, to be precise), and I need a substitute for the following tools:

1. Dreamweaver.
2. Photoshop.

Are there any good applications for Linux which can replace the abovementioned windows apps?

In addition, what applications do you use to develop XOOPS themes?

jfernau
Re: Theme developing with Linux
  • 2004/9/23 21:43

• jfernau

• Just popping in

• Since: 2003/12/29

There will be a lot of opinions on the first one, but I'll give you my recommendations.

1. Quanta+ - There isn't anything that is a true replacement for Dreamweaver (you can use Crossover Office and actually run Dreamweaver on Linux if you wanted to), but I think Quanta+ is one of the best html editors for Linux. Another one that I've started hearing some good things about is called nvu. It's a reworked and enhanced version of Netscape Composer. I haven't used it though.

2. Gimp - There are other image programs in Linux, but I believe Gimp is the best of the bunch. If you opted for running Dreamweaver using Crossover Office (codeweavers.com), you can also run Photoshop with it.

I wouldn't go out and buy either of those products (too much $$), but if you already own them, for an extra $39 (cost of Crossover Ofice Std), you can still get some use out of them.

John

JMorris
  • 2004/9/23 21:51

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

For graphics: Gimp

Depending on your version of Dreamweaver, you may be able to run it under WINE (the free API made by the same people that make Crossover Office). Of course, you could install the full Mozilla Suite which has a decent editor (Composer) built in as well.

I've been wanting to migrate over to Linux for about 6 months now, but I sunk a good chunk of change into Studio MX 2004 and WINE won't run it. I'm looking into runing VMware under Linux so I can run a striped down Windows 2000 in a virtual machine with only Studio MX on it, but the cost is a bit prohibitive right now.

If you stumble upon a solution for runing Dreamweaver/Studio MX on Linux, please let me know. After spending all day pulling viruses and worms off of people's insecure Windoze boxes, the last thing I want to come home to is Windoze.

Sorry Windows fans, but M$ OSs are notoriously vulnerable by default.

jmass
  • 2004/9/23 23:25

• jmass

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/12/18

1. gedit ( )
2. gimp

sbkiller
  • 2004/9/24 2:30

• sbkiller

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/6/9 2

[Oopps... I removed my messages.]

grieco
  • 2004/9/24 8:59

• grieco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/26

You have forgotten about great bluefish :)

I'm using a photoshop7 and gimp. For html coding I'm using quanta, and... kate ;)

For vectorts graphics - sodipodi :)

iolai
  • 2004/9/24 10:41

• iolai

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/6/26

Quote:
I'm using a photoshop7 and gimp. For html coding I'm using quanta, and... kate ;)

Photoshop 7 works with Linux?

Login

Who's Online

190 user(s) are online (108 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 190

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits