gg1965
blank page during install
  • 2004/7/24 21:15

• gg1965

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/7/24

Hi all,

I have uploaded all of the files to the root, changed the attribuites on the appropriate files and directories (as per the instructions), created the database and databse user and ran the install file by pointing to:

www.mysite.com

The install works fine with green lights all the way however, the confirm database settings screen comes up, everything looks fine, i select "next" and i get a blank page.

the url in my browser is stuck on:

http://www.mysite.com/install/index.php

and the page is blank.

The actual file exists.

Any ideas as to what the issue is?

Thanks

graham

JMorris
Re: blank page during install
  • 2004/7/25 3:39

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

Check your mainfile.php and database. If all the correct settings are there, and your database has 39 tables [assuming you are using XOOPS 2.0.7], you should just be able to go to your site's url and it will be there.

I've had this happen before, but I had a error in my mainfile.php, so that's the first place I would look. Also, if you find an error, or you would like to try again from scratch, you should re-upload mainfile.php and dump the datbase.

Also, what version of XOOPS are you trying to install? Do you know what version of MySQL and PHP your server uses?

OH, you also may want to do a search on "blank page" using the search box at the top left of the screen. I seem to recall this being a common question.

reflect
  • 2004/9/15 16:21

• reflect

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/15

I'm having this exact behaviour on 2 machines right now. I've searched the entire XOOPS site and there are no fixes for this one that I can see.

Here's what I've done:

downloaded and unpacked XOOPS 2.0.7.3, installed MySQL 3.23.58 and all the required packages. The system is a redhat machine, btw.

I follow the instructions, set permissions on dirs and the file and create a database and a user, using the GRANT option to give this user FULL rights for testing purposes. Start the installation, pick english (next), some text (next), all green lights for the permissions (next), put in all the info for the dbhost, dbuser, dbpass etc (next), confirm it (next), it saves the data, all green (next), confirm paths/URL all green (next), confirm database (next),
and I get a white page..
View source gives me this on mozilla:
<html><body></body></html>
and this using MSIE:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=Content-Type content="test/html; charset=utf-8"></HEAD>
<BODY></BODY></HTML>

The other pages I've found on this site all seems to be discussing blank pages AFTER a successful install.

My friend had this exact problem a while ago and solved it, though he doesn't remember how. The fact that I get the exact same problem on 2 different machines (both OS and hardware) tells me that either I'm doing something completely fscked up, or, there's something wrong with the install script.

Oh, and I've tried using localhost, the hostname, the hostname with the FQDN and then a totally bogus name and it surprised me that the installer didn't barf at me there.

I've checked the logs. No errors in the apache logfiles, nothing in the MySQL logfiles.. nada. I don't know what to try next. Suggestions?

shoe_
  • 2004/9/15 16:28

• shoe_

• Just popping in

Yeh, I think I found a "patch" in the forums here somewhere, and it was 2.0.x aswell. On a Whitebox (RedHat-look alike) system..

Damn, I can't remember what I did.. Gonna hate myself when you tell us how easy it was to fix! :)

(The friend who had the same problem)

/shoe - Amiga's back baby! - www.amigaworld.net

reflect
  • 2004/9/16 10:24

• reflect

• Just popping in

I've checked the privileges with 'mysqlcc' now and made sure the user I'm installing with has ALL rights, globally. But I still get the same, non-descript blank page.

Since the user has the rights to create a db, I tried putting a name of a db that didn't exist, and the installer doesn't complain, but still gets me a blank page.

What am I missing here?

cheetah100
  • 2004/9/19 20:48

• cheetah100

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/19

I'm having exactly the same problem. You can get all the way through the install - have MySQL set up correctly, all the file permissions correct, and when you hit the submit on the page before the database is created all you get is a blank page. The mainfile.php is written - by a previous page I believe - but the blank page comes back immediatly as if something fails very early on.

To start over you have to delete the mainfile.php, but you always get the same result. The same installation works find on my Mandrake box.

cheetah100
  • 2004/9/20 1:41

• cheetah100

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/19

We had this problem as well. It turned out that the php.ini file had not been configured correctly to work with mysql. Although php4-mysql had been installed, it was not properly configured. We configured these lines as:

extension_dir = "/usr/lib/php4/20020429"
extension=mysql.so

This fixed the problem we had trying to get the blank page fixed when trying to create the database. We also had an issue when we tried to look at the home page. This problem was fixed by ensuring the permissions were 777 rather than 666 - ie that the application had permission to enter the directories.

With these fixed its all up and running - which is lucky because I have a presentation tommorow to show how it is used!

cooperluke
  • 2004/9/24 10:07

• cooperluke

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/24

Hi.
I have a similar problem..
I install everything, but in the end, when I try to open the main page of my site, it just gives me a blank page!

Any guess?

CB

Mithrandir

http://wiki.xoops.org/wakka.php?wakka=TroubleshootingBlankPage

Please read, follow instructions - and if still having trouble, post a follow-up.

Oukami
  • 2004/9/24 12:35

• Oukami

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/24

Make sure your ftp client doesnt smallcap your uploads.

I use windows commander and that program does that.
Used FlashFXP for the second time and then the install works like a charm..

So check ur program!

Login

Who's Online

223 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 223

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits