smnsmn
Struggling to understand
  • 2004/9/15 23:09

• smnsmn

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/9/12

I have been playing with modules etc but I am trying to understand how modules fit in the XOOPS structure.

I would like 2 separate download areas is that possible?

There are a few modules that I like to use in this way such as liaise.

Bassman
Re: Struggling to understand
  • 2004/9/15 23:14

• Bassman

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/5/23

It is possible to "clone" modules so as to duplicate them, however there's a bit of modification that needs to be done as most modules create tables in the database. Do a search on "clone Module"

smnsmn
  • 2004/9/16 20:21

• smnsmn

• Just popping in

Is this the design of XOOPS that there is one of everything?

My site stores documents for users to access but I do not have one big list. In XOOPS would I need to clone the download module to have categories for documents?

Some users want to load data that is categorised against their name almost like a sub site. This is so that other users can find the information easily without searching the whole site.

This may be a silly idea but would it not be better for the module name to be a parameter that is set on installation so that a site could have multiple versions running without cloning?

DonXoop

I don't use the downloads module but I know that it has categories no problem. You can create categories and sub categories as you wish.

Is that the idea?

smnsmn
  • 2004/9/16 22:14

• smnsmn

• Just popping in

I just tested this and it would work functionally but isn't idiot proof.

At the moment there is a button on my site saying Club Documents and they understand to go there to get the documents. I know I can rename the module but I do want to put up other downloads in a different category.

Two download modules with different names would give me the two menu items. I have the same issue with static pages and modules like C Jay content.

I suppose what I want is the main menu to be able to link directly to content within a module.

YourHelp
  • 2004/9/17 0:16

• YourHelp

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2003/6/9 6

As Bassman so elegantly said the possibility of 2 of the same module would clash in the database and modification is required. I would start by doing the simple things renaming the second module trying to make it unique from the other that is the files and the folder of each module.

Let me know how you go with it as I may want to do this myself in the near future.

DonXoop

Some modules can be a pain and some are easy. Wouldn't you be needing a lot of clones? That isn't practical. Some modules can be a pain and some are easy. What you can do is make the categories like they should be used and then create static links directly to the various categories.

so:
<a href="$xoops_url/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=11"> Joe Documents</a>

<a href="$xoops_url/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=5"> Mary Documents</a>

etc.
You can create a custom block with a whole menu of these links, shove them into the main menu, link bar elsewhere on the site, etc.

After setting up the downloads you can view and copy the cid needed for the link.

smnsmn
  • 2004/9/17 8:36

• smnsmn

• Just popping in

Thanks DonXoop

That seems the best solution.Although as I am not much of a programmer it will be an interesting challenge.

It is navigation that is the key as my users are not especially web lovers.

Would this work with the modules that wrap static pages?

I know some seem to like hacking code to clone modules but it is not my idea of fun. (Sorry Yourhelp).

And I am only doing this for fun!

DonXoop

Always easier if you can add creative code than hacking existing. You can create links to almost anything, specific News items, Download cats, individual Forum posts, whatever.

Creating a list of easy to understand links is not that difficult. Easy in fact and I suggest a Custom Block. Basic HTML code and you're done.

Do understand that the less your users understand or willing to learn the more work you as the webmaster has to do. At least *one* person on a site has to know the gory details of the code. If not then you hire a remote admin person to take care of things. if it is important that is......

good luck

Login

Who's Online

213 user(s) are online (125 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 213

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits