asche
sticky topics - Best Practices - Preinstallation
  • 2004/9/16 8:52

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

Hi everybody,

looking for a provider I had many Questions, which I still cant answer (so far I am happy with surpass).
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=20137&forum=13#forumpost87211

I think it makes sense to improve the "sticky topics" concerning preinstallation and installation with "best practices" for newbies.

example for topics (sticky?), that could be heplful for newbies:

a)
Forum "Beginner's Corner":
Preinstallation - Best Practices:(topics mainly with distinction between manual and automatic install -> "please run scripta ..." -> important for newbies -> 10 Steps -> Best Practises)

b)
Forum "Installation Troubleshooting":
Installation - Best Practices:
(topics with tips regarding reinstallation -> database connection)

Is it possible to use the sticky topics a bit more intensivly and systematic? Topics like "first steps" - "walk through" - "example" would be great.

best regards

asche

asche
Re: sticky topics - Best Practices - Preinstallation
  • 2004/11/12 11:46

• asche

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/4/5 9

... just to start with, the status of the sticky topics in XOOPS:

Beginner's Corner
no sticky topics

Module usage questions
no sticky topics
... mmmh. small question, are all sticky topics removed? So where do I find info of the content of forum?
... ups. 2 sticky topics noticed on second sight -> the colour for sticky should be very distinct, was much better before redesign.

In Beginners Corner I would like to have a sticky topic, that shows different paths for people who want to run XOOPS in the web exclusively (I would like to, cause my local webserver seems to be slower than my web connection/hosting provider). If web-xoopsing is a real alternative for non-developers (could be advertized then anyhow, cause this only-web-XOOPS-feature is not very known, all you guys are developers and do ftping a 100 times aday, I suppose?), then there should be a path to first steps info concerning "configuration of web-xoops with board-tools of hostprovider" -> forinstance databasename -> my provider prefixes dbname so it didnot match to my local dbname -> best practice: set up webhost first and create local db with the dump containing prefixed database?).

So if somebody can shed some light on XOOPS handling of "first steps" information, I'd be happy.

greets asche

PS: I suppose many newbies search info only in forum and not often switch to XOOPS-Wiki -> thats why I am so "stuck with first steps info" in the forum.

PPS: If anybody is fine with XOOPS "to-begin-with-info" please delete this topic.

Login

Who's Online

234 user(s) are online (167 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 234

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits