toddarc
news 1.2 help
  • 2004/8/10 0:42

• toddarc

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/8 6

Hi folks,

I'm attempting to use the news 1.2 module as a publishing tool for members to submit stories. Obviously it's well-suited for this, but I need to modify the titles and link texts to reflect "story" or "stories" rather than "the scoop", "submit news" etc.

If someone could point me towards the hardcoded references to these areas needing changes, I'd be forever gratefull!

After 3 years of ColdFusion development, two days with XOOPS was all the convincing I needed to take up PhP and clean everything CF out of my life. I spent the morning at Barnes and Noble picking out shiny new PhP replacements, and 3 months down the road I'll be jumping into this community full force, but I sure hope somebody can give me a lending hand on this one... I promise to participate much more than I receive over the long haul :)

Thanks for your time!

Todd

tom
Re: news 1.2 help
  • 2004/8/10 0:54

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2002/9/21

You will generally find these in the language files

Xoops_dir/modules/news/Your_Lang/

Not sure which file, as I changed mine a long time ago, lol.

If you have dream weaver or a simlar tool then just open them up and search for Scoop. and replace the wording between the ' '

Hope this is of help.

tom
  • 2004/8/10 0:59

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

OK, I re-downloaded a non-modified brand spanking new version from the XOOPS Dev site to look for you.

You can find it in the:

Xoops_dir/modules/news/language/Your-Lang/main.php

Look for the line:

define("_NW_THESCOOP","The Scoop");

And change the 'The Scoop' bit, only the string attached to the variable.

Save and upload.

Hope this is of some help.

toddarc
  • 2004/8/10 3:28

• toddarc

• Just popping in

Thank you very much for the help Tom -

Starting point + Dreamweaver should get this task done yet tonight :)

Much appreciated, and have a great evening!

Todd

Worked like a charm - thanks again!

tom
  • 2004/8/10 11:51

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

No problem, glad I could be of help

toddarc
  • 2004/8/10 21:54

• toddarc

• Just popping in

I do have one more question, but is not keyword-friendly for a forum search...

Although not critical, I'm wondering if the directory name for a module can be changed. If I uninstalled this module and renamed the "news" directory to "stories" and reinstalled, would anything "unwanted" happen? I've found directory names are really "cheap" SEO enhancers, so would be nice :)

Thanks Again!

Todd

tom
  • 2004/8/10 22:00

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

yes it can be changed, but it's not as easy as changing the directory name.

Have a look in the xoops_version.php in the root of the module

Xoops_Dir/modules/news/xoops_version.php

and you should see:

$modversion['dirname'] = "news";

change that and the directory name.

I think this should work providing your not wanting to run the news module too as it is, other wise then you've got to look at making a few more changes.

Let me know, if you get stuck.

If so, then I could sort it for you and send you a completed package version with the new name. (not update friendly to new versions, with out making changes again).

Let me know if this helps.

toddarc
  • 2004/8/10 22:17

• toddarc

• Just popping in

Wow, that was quick!

I won't be running the "stock" news module, so hopefully your suggestions will do the trick.

I really appreciate your offer to package this thing for me (3 years on the CF forums never once produced helpful gestures like this), but with upgrades in mind I've been keeping a detailed "hack" log to reference later on down the road. I'll put your suggestions to use later on tonight and will let you know how it works out :)

Thanks again for your time!

Todd

**************** Updated

Have been having persistant file permission problems with my host - one of which prevented me from changing the directory name (for some bazaar reason). Am waiting for the nameserver changes to take effect for my new server space and will attempt this again...

**************** Updated

Changing the directory name causes a few more issues, so will probably dig into it at a later date. The two issues I saw were: image in admin still called from "news" directory - and installer couldn't find the module. Is small potatoes though because the application looks like I intended in almost every other way:)

Here's my hack log in case it helps someone down the road:

Hack Record for Stories Module (converted from news 1.2)

/language/english/admin.php

Changed lines 5,6,15,18,19,20,22,26,70,81,102,103 to refer to "stories" and not "news articles"

/language/english/blocks.php

Changed line 9 to reflect "stories" and not "articles"

/language/english/main.php
Changed lines 15,18 ("the scoop" to "introduction"),24,28,29,35,38,39,50,56 to reflect "stories" and not "news articles"

/language/english/modinfo.php
Changed lines 6,9,12,14,15,16,18,21,26,30,32,33,34,35,36,37,40,50,51,52,54,72,80,85,90,98 to reflect "stories" and not "news articles"

Thank you much!

Todd

tom
  • 2004/8/14 20:01

• tom

• Friend of XOOPS

Are you happy with what you have done so far?

Or would you like me to duplicate to another name?

toddarc
  • 2004/8/15 4:13

• toddarc

• Just popping in

Oops, was in the wrong template...

Shucks, even after making the "correct" updates, the url is unaffected...

I'm happy with things as they stand though, SEO services weren't included in this project so is "above and beyond" as far as the client is concerned.

Thanks for the offer Tom, it is much appreciated. I have projects with higher priorities, so will change direction at this time. Looking at your post ratings, I'm sure we'll bump into each other down the road - it's been a pleasure!

Todd

Login

Who's Online

140 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 140

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits