theprof
Is Xoops falling behind??
  • 2004/8/5 13:40

• theprof

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/7/14

First I will like to say I love xoops, and since I found the CMS I have learned so much and my website has grown cause of Xoops.

Well, I have done more and more research by the day

I have noticed that 3 other CMSs are a little past XOOPS when it comes to Module integrations within their systems.

I have went to

MaxDev, Mambo, and Postnuke

All three have many more modules and features when it comes to the overall CMS

They have modules that have been ported to their systems....that also could be ported by Xoops...

for example....

phPro 3.0 Job Board, v4bJournal, zPersonals v3, Quiz...and many more...

are these not able to be ported to XOOPS to?

just a little insight

datamile
Re: Is Xoops falling behind??
  • 2004/8/5 13:58

• datamile

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/24

postnuke is a walk in the park for port as you can dump the html in the module.

If XOOPS is going to get module devs, it needs some real module development documentation, skeleton modules and examples.

I looked at converting a couple but didn't know where to start.

Mithrandir

Agreed, documentation could be better - but it's really not that difficult to make a XOOPS module, once you have the basics.

It has taken me some time to learn to write proper modules, but the first one didn't take long. It wasn't pretty, it didn't use comments and notifications etc. and it only used $xoopsUser and $xoopsDB from the core and was mainly based on functions and HTML mixed with PHP - but it worked.

With some PHP knowledge and enough motivation, making a module can be learnt in a week.

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 14:04

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Oh, so the porting is more difficult in XOOPS than PostNuke I assume you are trying to refer to?

Well then I understand that...but why was XOOPS made so different in that aspect of porting?

I know nothing about PhP, porting etc. etc...But why not make a easier system for porting, for those that know how to?

I just think there are way too many xoopers not to have these features and modules available...

with all the willing site owners to contribute to development....financially...there is just no excuse to have development stagnant unless there are just a limited amount of Devs. on Xoops. But that should be the only explanantion....

JMorris
  • 2004/8/5 14:17

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

If you monitor the Official XOOPS Development Site, you will find that development is far from stagnant.

I personally believe that the reason there are fewer module available for XOOPS than there are for other CMSs is that the XOOPS team has their priorities in the right place. Security & Stability First!

I've used several other CMSs, and none of them is as secure and stable as Xoops. This is a primary concern for many webmasters and site owners. What good is a bunch of features if you can't prevent data theft and system crashes.

If there is a particular module you wish to have ported to Xoops, you could always request it. This is done quite often and many modules that are available for XOOPS are available because someone asked for it.

/2c

Mithrandir

sorry? We should make XOOPS with porting of modules in mind? Not trying to make the best system we can?

What XOOPS lacks is developers with PHP knowledge and the motivation for making modules and porting existing modules. Too many requests, too few people to produce the modules.

The main reason why it is a considerable work to port a module from *nuke to XOOPS is that the structure is so different. XOOPS is object oriented, *nuke is not. We believe that an OO structure is easier to understand, easier to reuse and easier to program - some agree, some disagree, but making a CMS that looks exactly like others... there's no real point in doing that.

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 14:22

• theprof

• Quite a regular

JMorris....

good input....Secuirty IS the main key...I rather have that then any other thing....

Actually I did make a post maybe a week ago, saying I will actaully PAY for certain modules, and got no response?

Im also am playing with other CMSs...

Xoops so far has been the EASIEST to install and intially learn....than these other ones....

I do also check the dev. site from time to time...

some I can even get on my system....

Which CMS did you play with before you made the choice of XOOPS?

theprof
  • 2004/8/5 14:26

• theprof

• Quite a regular

Quote:
What XOOPS lacks is developers with PHP knowledge and the motivation for making modules and porting existing modules. Too many requests, too few people to produce the modules.

Yeah, I guess that would be a setback..

I am thinking about really sitting down and learn PHP...

its just i been so busy with so many other things...

But I think im going to take the time to learn..

How difficult is PHP to learn...
compared to...
HTML - Javascript - C++ - Visual Basic

Also, XOOPS is DEFINATELY the easiet to migrate, learn, and modify!..

I am still tweaking with these other CMS and they are no way near as user friendly..

JMorris
  • 2004/8/5 14:45

• JMorris

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/4/11

I've worked with PHPNuke, PostNuke, Drupal, phpWebsite, phpBB, IPB, vB Board, Burning Board, phpGedView, Movable Type, Blogger.... just to name a few. I've worked other, more obscure, portals, Blogs and forums as well, but I can't recall all I've worked with in the past two years. Some, I gave up on from the first day, some I've actually put into production.

As a whole though, I feel XOOPS has offered the best security, feature set, and stability combination of everything I've worked with.

At this point in time, I'm centralizing my efforts on learning the ins and outs of XOOPS as well as learning PHP and MySQL so that I can offer more to the XOOPS community and my clientel.

I personally see no sense in looking any further the the "Best" CMS. I've already found it. Now it's just a matter of developing my skills so that I can contribute to making the best CMS better.

As far as learning PHP compaired to other languages goes, Apples and oranges.

I can't speak on C++ or Java, but I can say that learning PHPis a sharper curve than HTML and CSS. Regardless, the benefits of the knowledge you gain will far out weigh any effort required.

datamile
  • 2004/8/5 14:50

• datamile

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/11/24

php is easy.... its a bit like basic , but with OO functions if you want to program that way.

Login

Who's Online

284 user(s) are online (175 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 284

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits