tedsmith
Re:My site is a failure - but getting BETTER!
  • 2004/10/13 17:50

• tedsmith

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/6/2 1

Not that I intend to keep telling everyone about my web sites development, but the following points were especially useful I think, and may help others.

The suggestion to ask my web host about DNS referrals. Fantastic stuff mate - contacted them, and they showed me how to do reffer all the .co.uk requests to my .com site. Now, all those previously invalid links all over the net (for which there was about 30 or more on various sites and search engines) bring the users straight to my .com site! Absolutely fab!

Secondly, for those that didn't know, you can find out who is linking to your site using Google by typing 'links: http://www.yoursite.com'. You can then go and have a look and get them to update any changes as necessary.

Thirdly, I have joined a few dog related forums. One of them though has banned me for having my site in my signature which is really dissapointing. They don't even want me to add it in the body of the message. They have a 'policy' apparently where they do not allow links to other sites with forums. Sounds like they're scared of the competition to me, so I wrote a bit of a snotty PM to the admin and said they were as bad as Microsoft! Ironically though they use open-source phpBB forums to run the sight! Anyway, I shoudln't be childish.

So, hopefully things will begin to pick up. I've already had a few genuine users register, and a few more forum postings have developed.

Thanks again

Ted

Login

Who's Online

289 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 289

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits