adrock
Re: new to php driven sites...need some help
  • 2005/8/31 1:19

• adrock

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/12/7

simplest way to deal with number 4 is to;

a. find out your external ip (http://www.whatsmyip.com)
b. Set-up port forwarding on your router, so that port 80 forwards to port 80 of the internal ip of your server.

(many isp's 'disallow' this, or block port 80 requests, so make sure that your ISP will allow you to run a web server from your location)

If I knew what type of router it was, I could give a little more info....
Affordable Web Hosting - Family - Fun!...and not always in that order!

deadlife
  • 2005/8/31 2:12

• deadlife

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/8/30

i know my I.P.

i already have port forwarding set to 80 into my lan ip (192.168.1.101). i know it is allowed from my isp cuz i used to have a reg. html serv months ago.

but it still doesnt work. my router is some crap network anywhere 4 port..i.e built from linksys. works good for home.

i dont understand why this doesnt work, i cant forward 127.0.0.1 to my ips ip. maybe i am missing something here

adrock
  • 2005/8/31 2:41

• adrock

• Quite a regular

it goes the 'other' way.

for me... 68.68.xx.xxx:8000 (my outside ip) points to the same port on my internal IP 168.1.0.100

so any outside requests for port 8000 get forwarded to the pc inside my network. I have 6 PC's on my internal net, and all of them have specific port ranges forwarded to each of them for different reasons.

Since you're doing web stuff, port 80 is the standard web port...so http requests assume port 80.

in your XOOPS mainfile, you should use relative paths, and not an ip...especially 127.0.0.1, as that is 'home'...as in the black hole...nowhere but right here ip address.

Just out of curiosity, have you put an html file in your root and called it to see if it works? You may have to create a .htaccess file to tell the server to deliver php pages.

ie: On one of my hosting accounts, index.html will show up, but index.htm, and index.php will not. The server had to be told to look for those when responding to requests.

saw that here once....
https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=37840&forum=27&post_id=165669#forumpost165669

deadlife
  • 2005/8/31 4:06

• deadlife

• Just popping in

okay you lost me on that, how do i config it the 'other' way?

Grizzlydk
  • 2005/8/31 5:33

• Grizzlydk

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/2/24

Hi deadlife

I have nice little link to you...thx to Delorie

Web Page Backward Compatibility Viewer

Make a file callede delorie.htm drop it in to your apache doc root where your website is located.

Then use this link to check if the site is online from the outside of your router.....
Danish is viery iasy to spoke

adrock
  • 2005/8/31 5:55

• adrock

• Quite a regular

nice grizzly!

deadlife: The way I'm reading your post, you are trying to port fowrard to 127.0.0.1

127.0.0.1 is not a location that you can forward to, it is a default ip for 'localhost' not an actual location.

..or, you are trying to get your pc to forward to the outside...that also is not possible.

Port forwarding means that the outside address is being forwarded to the inside address, which will be the ip you find through ipconfig ... something like 192.168.1.100

if you can get it to work like you did before with the html web site, as long as you have PHP and SQL installed and working, there's little or no reason why the XOOPS site will not work.

it is going to be hard for any of us to figure it out if it isn't working like a standard web server first.

Hope your getting closer and not letting it get the best of you!

deadlife
  • 2005/8/31 13:22

• deadlife

• Just popping in

so i understand all that, now i can make a file called index.html and put it in my www root dir. and call it and it works fine. its getting the php files to come up. that is my whole problem.

deadlife
  • 2005/8/31 13:25

• deadlife

• Just popping in

oh and let me add that the only way to see the *.html file is calling it from 127.0.0.1

adrock
  • 2005/9/2 18:07

• adrock

• Quite a regular

127.0.0.1 will not leave your NIC...it's a dead end return loop for the www root, so if that is the case, there is something else in your web server that is not set-up correctly, or the dns info has not propogated yet to resolve your external ip to the internal one.

look through this page to be sure everything is set-up and working correctly for PHP and IIS

Click Here

Hopefully things are progressing?

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits