phppp
Re: Caching in Xoops
  • 2004/5/7 13:27

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

Quote:

PyromanFO wrote:
*edit* Okay, so another question, do the modules currently support these updateCache and clearCache functions?

yes, not fully tested though.

PyromanFO
  • 2004/5/7 13:27

• PyromanFO

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/7 1

Another idea, passing a cache id to the updateCache and clearCache functions would make it completely content based, for instance when you update or add a news story, pass the story id to the updateCache and clearCache functions and only the cache for that story is fixed, along with any other affected parts (past stories block, news index). This would also be controlled on a per module basis to allow for maximum flexibility.

Mithrandir

I agree that when something changes, you can cache the page and avoid rebuilding the page in the future, unless the page is changed.

However, sometimes it is intended that the caching should not rebuild the page even if it is changed - such as the front page here on xoops.org. It is not intended that everytime someone posts in the forums, the front page is updated - on the contrary, it is meant to be updated only every xx minutes (don't know the setting, but I'm guessing a minute)

I can see the potential and it is an interesting way to go - but don't forget that it CAN be of interest only to update the page once in a while and not on every page change.

PyromanFO
  • 2004/5/7 13:55

• PyromanFO

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/5/7 1

Couldn't you have a module setting that says "Update XX minutes" or "Content based caching". Then updateCache could check that and either use the cacheid or just do nothing if "Update XX minutes" is selected. Or you could just not call updateCache if you want to hardcode the "Update XX Minutes" functionality.

Mithrandir

that may be a way to do it - My point was merely to encourage the development of per-page caching, but at the same time keeping the option of timed caching.

Do go on with the exploration and if you hit a good one, which works perfectly, don't hesitate to submit it to the Patches Tracker

Keep up the good work

phppp
  • 2004/5/7 16:36

• phppp

• XOOPS Contributor

• Since: 2004/1/25

yes, so far this hack is just interesting, although it may work for personal hack.

To make it ready for xoops, there are many things to do.

Considering the xoops-notificationHandler, xoops-searchHandler and this hack(or further hack), as well as some cross-module hacks I am working on, I feel that XoopsModule might need some modification. Just brief thought.

Login

Who's Online

210 user(s) are online (141 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 210

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits