1
amgeex
Cannot write to mainfile.php
  • 2004/4/25 18:11

  • amgeex

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 4

  • Since: 2004/4/25


I get this during the install. But in the previous screen it tells me everything is writable and that threre are no errors. What do I do? It tells me to check the file's permissions, how do I do this? I'm running WinXP Pro, IIS 5.1, PHP 4.3.6 and MySQL 4.

Help Appreciated.

2
Mithrandir
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php

In your favourite FTP client, open the FTP connection to your site and right-click the mainfile.php, which is in the root of your XOOPS installation, and go to properties (possibly "permissions").

Check that the permissions are set to writable (i.e. non-readonly) - after successful installation, set the permissions back to read-only.

I don't know, why it says that everything is ok and then report an error, so if it is indeed writable from what you can see with the FTP client, please re-post.

3
CBlue
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php

666 or all blocks checked for read and write for your mainfile.php file permissions.

4
amgeex
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php
  • 2004/4/25 18:26

  • amgeex

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 4

  • Since: 2004/4/25


OK, the file is writeable alright, but I keep getting the same error. Could this have something to do with IIS? I'm using a local installation btw. And I've set the permissions in IIS to be all writeable.

At the top of the page it shows this:

Warning: copy(../mainfile.php): failed to open stream: Permission denied in C:\Inetpub\webroot\kouyou\install\class\mainfilemanager.php on line 52


5
Mithrandir
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php

Is there a chance of you trying to go Apache instead? I have yet to encounter problems with my Apache webserver (hosted on my 256 MB RAM Celeron Laptop)

6
amgeex
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php
  • 2004/4/25 19:04

  • amgeex

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 4

  • Since: 2004/4/25


I know apache is an overall better server, but I've found it hard to use. I think that I'm not up to the challenge. Is there an "easy" version or distro of Apache?

7
Mithrandir
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php

whttp://www.apachefriends.org

XAMPP works very well for me - including MySQL database etc. and quite easy to setup.

8
amgeex
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php
  • 2004/4/25 19:52

  • amgeex

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 4

  • Since: 2004/4/25


Thanks a lot, I'll check it out!!

9
jctsup1
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php
  • 2004/4/29 20:23

  • jctsup1

  • Not too shy to talk

  • Posts: 146

  • Since: 2002/5/23


The IUSR account must have Modify rights to mainfile.php

10
Kaustik
Re: Cannot write to mainfile.php
  • 2004/5/5 1:11

  • Kaustik

  • Just popping in

  • Posts: 1

  • Since: 2004/5/1 1


Hey,

I'm having the same problem as Amgeex, running the same IIS with PHP 4 and MySQL 4 on a local computer. The file is definitely writable; in fact everything is writable in my website. And yet the thing still isn't working. I think I've given IUSR modify rights, but I'm not sure where I can access the rights of IUSR directly.

Anyway, I am guessing that it either has something to do with the fact that IIS has extra security measures that don't allow someone to modify a file from within another file, or open a stream from another file. Either that, or there is something that IIS doesn't like about the paths that mainfilemanager.php uses for its copy command:

     var $path = '../mainfile.php';
     var $distfile = '../mainfile.dist.php';

      ...

      function copyDistFile(){
            if ( ! copy($this->distfile, $this->path) ) {

I suppose the third problem could be that the copy command is for some reason rejected by IIS (as too risky?).

Has anyone else found copy() a problem with IIS? Does anyone know how to get around this and still use IIS?

Thanks,

Matt