ghia
Re: XOOPS 2.3: WF-Links & MyTube compatibility
  • 2008/10/24 18:59

• ghia

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2008/7/3 1

Quote:
for 1 instance. in XOOPS 2.0, mail was using function &getMailer() but in 2.3 this function was renamed to xoops_getMailer()
And there was no compatibility function getMailer present with the dreadful deprecated message?

Quote:
that 1 simple change is enough to break compatibility because unless the module developer changes references to that in his modules, then mail system of the module will not work

For me I do not see any advantage in such renaming of functions. That is changing for changing and has nothing to do with evolution and progress!

This should be turned back to the original name!
So modules can stay compatible at all times!

skenow
  • 2008/10/25 0:57

• skenow

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/11/17

Quote:

JAVesey wrote:
Quote:
yeppers wrote:

It WAS promised by XOOPS devs that ALL modules that currently work with XOOPS 2.0.18 will work with XOOPS 2.3, but that isn't true, because clearly they don't all work.

Sorry - I don't recall seeing that. Can you direct me/us to that?

I do remember seeing phrases like "most modules should work okay but we can't be certain" and "as this is a stepping stone to XOOPS 3.0, some modules may need modifying" and "all modules written for XOOPS 2.3.x will work with XOOPS 3.0", but I don't recall it in such cast-iron terms as you descibe for the XOOPS 2.0.x to XOOPS 2.3.x transition.

Not having a go - I'm genuinely interested as what you say would be quite a claim for the dev crew to make

If you look at the release for 2.3.0, you might get that impression from this -
Quote:

Modules written for 2.0.* and 2.2.* will work with 2.3; applications developed for 2.3 will be compatible with XOOPS 3.0 automatically.

But, there is also the small disclaimer in front of it

Quote:

Both backward and forward compatibility are guaranteed as much as possible

Leading one to wonder - which is it?

Anonymous
  • 2008/10/25 8:24

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
skenow wrote:

Leading one to wonder - which is it?

Hmmmm.....

From my own personal experience I'd suggest that it should be taken as:

"Most 2.0.x modules work with 2.3.x but there may be a few minor issues with some of them for which some code updating will be necessary. This will probably also be the case for 2.3.x modules (including those 2.0.x modules updated to be fully compatible with 2.3.x) after upgrade to XOOPS 3.0...."

I have to say that I've been pleasantly surprised but the degree of backwards compatability. All the modules that I use are fine (so far as I can tell).

Login

Who's Online

235 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 235

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits