Bleekk
Re: The future of XOOPS?
  • 2015/2/26 7:59

• Bleekk

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2002/12/14

Looks really cool. We need more bootstrap themes.
Please let us now when you finish it

bosco
  • 2015/3/3 20:37

• bosco

• Just popping in

• Since: 2004/8/5 1

Hi,

this theme is really better than the actuel default

@Mamba : that's a fact : i remember in the past, we were more in the community. More users, more devs, more modules, more themes. Since a few years, we are less.
No one is able to do anything counter this. 2/3 years ago, i've heard about a v3 of xoops. But nothing about it.

I'm not blaming you, or everyone who spend time with helping Xoops growing. But that's a fact, xoops dev is slower than before...

Hope it will become like before

xoobaru
  • 2015/3/4 1:19

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Feedback is welcome :)

It has been a long time since I have been on this site so when I stopped by and read this I had to respond.

Why do I get the feeling that the image in your theme was intentionally posted to visually reinforce your version of "State of the XOOPS"? You sow discord (create the problem), and then offer your help (provide the solution)?

XOOPS beware who you let in to do what. This is either a tactic, or someones too in touch with their feminine side, and its their time of month...

The ones who need to keep their minds on the goals deserve better, and a big round of applause and support from the 99.9% that are cheering (not jeering) them from the sides. I missed you all.

vamptrix
  • 2015/3/6 17:10

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

It's actually an image from the Guild Wars 2 website, taken from their wallpapers. I'm quite a fan of the game, and I often tend to go there for placeholder images.
The image used is this one:https://d3b4yo2b5lbfy.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/wallpapers/5bdc80318_BfLA-A-1920x1080.jpg.
The image, and the text I've written with it both reflect to Lion's Arch (what you see is the ruins of Lion's Arch and the lion statue in it). Lion's Arch has been attacked several times in the past in the game (first time by the Mad King, who destroyed the statue, but the statue was rebuilt after a few months). It has been attacked later on by the Karka, who destroyed the oldest building in the city, the Lighthouse. After that, Scarlet invaded Lion's Arch and destroyed it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2S5siA_ML4). It's still destroyed in game, even after a year, but slowly, you see things coming back to it. The text I wrote reflects on that, not XOOPS. :). I hate using Lorem Ipsum.
The second image in the slider is also from Guild Wars 2, and I've uploaded an image of that as well (specially for you xoobaru): Resized Image

It's really not needed to search a conspiracy behind my post, I simply started writing a post, and this thread grew out of it. A personal outcry, perhaps. But there is nothing more behind it.
I'm not creating a problem either, as what I did was posting my personal opinion. Everybody is entitled to that.
I haven't done nothing either: since my last post I've starting updating the wiki (currently waiting on a reply from Michael for some information I need, concering the Basic Module Pack), starting building templates on it and recording video's.
I'm also working on both the Newoni theme (which is the theme that I've posted the screenshots for) and xFoundation.
xFoundation is my alternative for xBootstrap (as I'm used to working with Foundation, working with Bootstrap is really slow/hard for me. Foundation is kind of rusted in).

Foundation is, just like Bootstrap, a CSS framework, but made by ZURB. It does more or less the same than what Bootstrap does, but it does so in another way.

xFoundation is however quite different from xBootstrap, as it's more a blank base theme rather than an actual theme. I'm adding nothing to xFoundation in terms of styling. It's just a port of Foundation to XOOPS.

And, as for what I've ment with my first post, you have just confirmed it: it has been a long time since you've been on this site. So first of all, welcome back. I've checked your latests posts, which date from 2013, and you seem like you have been a really helpful member. So why were you gone? People like you can be used here :).

I also support all of the people behind XOOPS, those that are working hard. I've got all my respects for Michael (Mamba), Bitcero, Geekwright, Bleekk, chco2, AngeloRocha and many others (I've forgotten a ton of people, but I can't mention all the members here ofcourse).
But that doesn't mean we don't have to look critical at what we have now, at what needs to be done. And that's what this post is all about: not about breaking things, but pointing out things and start working on fixing them. Because that's the way to go forward, not ignoring them and wait, but pointing them out and change them.
It's small things that go a long way. An example that I've pointed out, but I'm waiting for feedback on, is the module repository. I've suggested (and worked out) making a wiki page (https://xoops.org/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Basic_Module_Pack) which lists all the modules we recommend using right now. The problem is that I myself had issues locating which modules are in that pack and what the latest versions are, so that I have to wait until confirmed that those are indeed the latest versions. Once that page is ready, we can put a block on the module repository pointing to that page. That way people will be able to locate the most recent versions of the modules in the pack.

Now that I'm going, another thing that I've suggested is that on the download page (where you go when you click the orange get XOOPS button) there's a link to instructions about how to translate XOOPS, but it links through to a really outdated post with instructions that aren't correct anymore (XOOPS is now translated using Transifex). We should update that (and I can't do that).

If we can fix those little issues, and point them out, someone with the rights to modify them can actually change those. And that will help us all in the long term.

So, I'm asking you xoobaru, please help me with finding those small things, become active in the XOOPS community again. That will help us forward. I'm not here to break things, insult people or god knows what.
I'm trying to change things around ;)

Kevin

JulioNC
  • 2015/4/28 18:58

• JulioNC

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2004/10/8

I left xoops a few years ago, but people who know me still ask me about xoops. I only respond with something like that.

Breaking up with her is never easy, but if you're man enough, you'll know to do it when it's time. (I know, it sounds stupid)

Recently, a friend of mine send me this thread forum, and the github page.

I know Richard (geekwright) has a lot of good job and he has been working for core base for a few years. But it's time to release new versions [0], and drop older versions [1]. So I don't understand why Eduardo and others aren't in the Official Development team.

Kevin (vamptrix)
You rocks man.
I recommend you to stick with only one CSS framework instead make another theme base. Maybe, you can improve the Administration Page?

Michael (Mamba)
Have we got any help page or contributor guide?
I mean, people who wants to help us resolve own issues.

Basic Module Pack
Can we make a survey for it?
A survey for all active users can be helpful.
Let users choose the new official modules. (engagement)
All these modules would be upgrade to 2.6.

XOOPS.org Theme
Please, released it on github, and request cosmetic changes.

XOOPS Admin
Please, stop doing themes for them instead make a solid and foundation admin theme.

I'm busy like others, but here to help you.

[0]http://semver.org/
[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)#Releases

Mamba
  • 2015/5/1 18:15

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Julio, great to see you here, and hopefully, you'll visit more often!

Just to address few of you questions:

Quote:
I know Richard (geekwright) has a lot of good job and he has been working for core base for a few years. But it's time to release new versions [0], and drop older versions [1]. So I don't understand why Eduardo and others aren't in the Official Development team.

Richard is working very hard on finalizing the next Alpha release, so hopefully it will be soon.

Since we're so busy with a lot of stuff, we have less time for "official" statements or team structures. Eduardo is absolutely a member of the Core development team, and our goal is to incorporate his RMC into the next release of XOOPS as a kind of a "Presentation Layer" that all modules would be using to look as nice as the current RMC modules. Eduardo has already a RMC version in development for XOOPS 2.6.0 (see here). I hope, we'll be able to have a seamless integration, so all modules will have the same look and feel!

Quote:
Michael (Mamba)
Have we got any help page or contributor guide?
I mean, people who wants to help us resolve own issues.

We're moving more and more to GitHub development model, so people will be able to fork and submit changes in a more fluid way, with less "rigid process". This is still not documented, as it is still changing, but if there is a need, we could provide some guidelines. However, it should be pretty much the same GitHub development process...

Quote:
Basic Module Pack
Can we make a survey for it?
A survey for all active users can be helpful.
Let users choose the new official modules. (engagement)
All these modules would be upgrade to 2.6.

We've got already request from XOOPS Germany for these key modules:
- Forum Module: NEWBB
- News / Blog Module: PUBLISHER
- Gallery Module: EXTGALLERY
- Contact Module: CONTACT
- Menus: MYMENUS
- Video Module: XOOPSTUBE
- Download Modul: WF-DOWNLOADS

If anybody has a strong opinion, please let us know, but right now I'll be focusing on finalizing these modules. Of course, everybody is welcome to help. All modules are on GitHub, so everybody just go ahead and fork them, and then submit improvements.

Quote:
XOOPS.org Theme
Please, released it on github, and request cosmetic changes.

Good idea...

Quote:
XOOPS Admin
Please, stop doing themes for them instead make a solid and foundation admin theme.

I am not sure, I understood your request here...

Quote:
I'm busy like others, but here to help you.

Fantastic!!!
Thank you very much!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

brutalicuss

XOOPS is really nice php platform, everybody knows that

The big, really big chagrin are themes
What do you think, what makes wordpress (in example) most preferred system? The themes of course. They are nice, completed, modern, easy to use and etc.. people like it and choose it for his sites.
The contemporary webmaster is not this we know - with excellent html, php, css, java and etc knowledge. NOW EVERYONE MAKES A SITES, just because there is a web platforms like WP
OK I dont like it very much, its heavy and intractable for customization, but people like it not only because its easy, there is millions themes and plugins. And although most site owners dont have special skills, they wants to have unique sites, like well-knowledge webmasters, and guess - modern system like wp namely give them this opportunity
So if anyone wandering why fewer people use xoops, the answer is: its not modern because of its theme poverty

XOOPS needs from 100x guys like Angelo (just good example)
Sorry that I cant help, just note this fact, like a really good xoop fan

But I believe in XOOPS and still waiting 2.6 with the promised option "clean url", rewriting all system, modules and theme paths

xoobaru
  • 2015/5/8 2:11

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

I noticed the forum was running at low tide (about six posts) a few weeks back, which I have not seen happen since 2011. My first thought was that this was the Maytag (makes washers and dryers) repairman syndrome who sat around all day because there was never anything wrong with any of the Maytag appliances.

Xoops 2.5.7X is solid, with nickel and dime issues involving modules, and yes themes. One or two from the gallery look like they might even be good match for the Libyan ministry of defense...after it was destroyed by NATO. Hope Mowaffaq is okay BTW.

While we are on the marketing topic, lets consider what would happen if the content in this forum were to expand to areas such as server setup and XOOPS, Apache and XOOPS, Nginx, OpenBSD, Ubuntu, MariaDB, Security, Analytics and XOOPS etc. So when web administrators with no knowldedge of XOOPS search on any these genres, the normal SEO process would return results that include related items of interest on XOOPS site.

If a diverse and large enough base of content is created, assuming all of the rules of good SEO is taken into account in the titles, bet me that XOOPS, and her themes will sell themselves. So if anyone has time to spare (myself included), why not share some of related area of how-to, tricks, or time savers, or new techologies, new uses, and more.

Quote:
Breaking up with her is never easy, but if you're man enough, you'll know to do it when it's time. (I know, it sounds stupid)

Yeah I know...
I too have been away from XOOPS for awhile, and during this time, there were times in the night I could swear that I heard her softly whispering to come back.

I think it is those two big "O"s that I missed the most....

Cesagonchu

Quote:

xoobaru wrote:
I missed you all.

We missed you too. Specially your humor

Quote:

xoobaru wrote:
I too have been away from XOOPS for awhile, and during this time, there were times in the night I could swear that I heard her softly whispering to come back.

I think it is those two big "O"s that I missed the most....

Hehe, same for me

xoobaru
  • 2015/5/11 0:59

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Quote:
Specially your humor

Whatever its called, I'm thankful they don't run me off the board for it.

Thanks all the same...
Good to see that 5 letter word that begins with "C" around these parts again. Now theres another one called Culex, anyone see the "Danish Genius" lately?

Login

Who's Online

259 user(s) are online (132 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 259

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits