danielreple
What is the best way to store images

Hello,

I need to make available image storage directly in my site for users, without other hosting sites images. How best to do this, to be easy to make backups of images and other the rest of the site separately?

Thank You

XOOPS 2.5.7
PHP 5.4.21
xForum 4.13

redheadedrod
Re: What is the best way to store images

Are you talking about format wise or what?

I would strongly suggest PNG format pictures for use on the net. This format was actually created for the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

Jpeg are also decent but PNG are the best format and as I understand it they can do anything a GIF or JPEG can do and should be the most compact.

Rodney

Mamba
  • 2014/12/27 18:21

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

PNG seems to be going away slowly, and the battle for image compression, especially in the JPEG area, is heating up

Google: promotes WebP format

Mozilla: came up with "mozjpeg", and it seems like Facebook donated some money to them.

Microsoft is pushing and supporting JPEG XR.

And there are also the libjpeg-turbo that claims better results than Mozjpeg, and the Independent JPEG group

So it seems like the majority of efforts are focusing on improving JPEG

And just few days ago there was an announcement about yet another new compression called BPG (Better Portable Graphics), but since the codec is proprietary, it might not take off.

So from I've seen, it seems like JPEG is probably the best option as it is being constantly improved, and together with PNG is supported by all browsers. As a comparison, WebP is only supported by Chrome and Opera.

With the disk storage prices going down, and with internet speed improving, my suggestion would be to store safely your original images, and then compress them with the best at the moment compression tool. In few years, as the compression tools improve, you can re-compress again the images. But in order to do it, you need to have your originals, otherwise compressing already compressed images will result in a very bad quality.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

danielreple

Hello,

sorry for the delay in responding. I had selected to receive notification from the forum by e-mail, but dont know if I didnt receive or didnt seeā€¦
Thank you for helping!

To my knowledge, the best image format for internet currently is JPEG as Mamba said. PNG is a very good format when u will need to do some editing on the image and do not want to lose the quality of it!

But my doubt is not about the image format. I think I expressed myself badly ....

To avoid loss of information of our sites, in case of any unexpected problem, it is advisable to make backups often, right? So, if we let a lot of images stored in the same directory of the entire site structure, we have a big problem to make these backups.
I wonder, how best to host the images on my site so that I can make backups of images and the rest of the site separately?

Mamba
  • 2015/1/30 7:54

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

If you have access to Cron on your Website, then you can specify manually which folders your want to backup and how often, and Cron will take care of it.

Did it help?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

As far as I know there are no current backup utilities for Xoops that will do this easily out of the box for you.

This will solely depend on your provider. They should have backup utilities that will do this for you. If you are not aware of backup strategies there are two major ones.

Incremental and full. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Full will be a bigger file but each time you backup you have a full backup of your system. With today's cheap storage I would suggest this for all website backups.

Incremental would entail you doing a full backup once and then every so often do another backup of JUST the changed files. This should result in a smaller file but if you lose any of the incremental backup files or they become corrupt you lose anything from that incremental backup afterwards. It is suggested that even if you do use incremental backups that you start over occasionally so you don't lose information.

If you are not aware of what a CRON file is, CRON runs every minute and will look at the cron file to see what commands need to be run. Hoping that xoops 2.6 supports a cron type file within xoops but normally the CRON system is totally dependent on your host company.

Depending on your hosting company you may set up a task in the CRON that automatically does a backup for you and either emails it to you or emails you that it is ready to be downloaded.

MOST hosting companies I have seen do not want you to store your backups online since they have their own backups of your system and it becomes redundant and wastes server space.

So it all depends on what you want to do. You CAN manually backup your stuff using an FTP program and a database dump but your hosting company SHOULD have a backup solution for you that should be much easier to deal with. If they don't you should look at another hosting company. But If it isn't obvious from their interface then contact them for a backup solution you feel comfortable with.

If you are self hosting this then there are MANY options available to you. A simple TAR command run in a cron would do wonders... (TAR after all was designed originally as a backup program to backup data to tape...)

Rodney

danielreple

Hello Mamba and Rodney,

Thank you very much! With the help of u, I'll have a better choice!

Note: I received the new post notification in my email, I think I really havent seen the previous.

Login

Who's Online

243 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 243

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits