reWARder
ZB Block
  • 2013/10/29 15:22

• reWARder

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2004/5/28

Has anybody here ever been using ZB Block on a xoops installation?

ZB Block

If yes, in which files and were did you place the "hook"?

reWARder
Re: ZB Block
  • 2013/11/1 7:12

• reWARder

• Not too shy to talk

Finally ... I managed to get it working and this thing is a blessing. I had huge issues with brute force login attemps and refresh spamming bots, than they are all gone. After tweaking the configuration file a little bit it's just great.

I would love to see this implemented into Xoops core!

Mamba
  • 2013/11/1 9:51

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
Finally ... I managed to get it working

Please share what was required to make it work...

Quote:
I had huge issues with brute force login attemps and refresh spamming bots, than they are all gone.

Normally, Protector should take care of it, but if I remember correctly, you didn't use Protector due to some conflicts with your other software, right?

I didn't look deep enough into it, but it seems like there an overlap with Protector...

Maybe some of the experts could take a look into these two and see if we can incorporate some of the ZB Block features into the Protector that are currently not there...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

redheadedrod

I am hopefully completing a major project for one of my classes today which will leave me some time. I will only have one more major project but it won't be due until 2nd week in December.

At this time Richard is getting very efficient at converting to Doctrine so I am devoting my spare time to securing Xoops.

I am starting with Profile to get it locked down and secured (Not going to be a simple project but not too bad) and I will be looking at improving Protector. It would make sense to incorporate this in some way as well.

When I look into this I will be interested in any other security scripts that are available. Or sites that have blacklists etc. I know of Xortify as one of them out there but I would be interested in any others as well.

Rodney

reWARder
  • 2013/11/1 15:33

• reWARder

• Not too shy to talk

Quote:

Mamba wrote:
Quote:
Finally ... I managed to get it working

Please share what was required to make it work...

Quote:
I had huge issues with brute force login attemps and refresh spamming bots, than they are all gone.

Normally, Protector should take care of it, but if I remember correctly, you didn't use Protector due to some conflicts with your other software, right?

I didn't look deep enough into it, but it seems like there an overlap with Protector...

Maybe some of the experts could take a look into these two and see if we can incorporate some of the ZB Block features into the Protector that are currently not there...

In order to make it work, the only things I had to do was installing it with the right permissions. I couldn't find all the perfectly appropriate descriptions in the manual and after untraing the file directly on the server via tar -xvzf command all the files that needed to be writable were writable.

After that you simply have to run a setup script, which is absolute piece of cake. Once that is done, you get the so called "hook", which is basically a line of PHP code, you can then throw into mainfile.php, right before the first php-tag opens. It's important that there is no space inbetween "><"

Once that is done the script is up and running.

After that I noticed, that it's really restrictive, since quite a few ISP's around the globe are simply locked out. Which led me to deleting all the lines in signatures.inc which had $hoster in it. Once that was done I got no more complaints from visitors, that they get a 404 or 503.

Login

Who's Online

153 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 153

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits