xoobaru
Security: Quantum Hacking
  • 2013/7/16 15:49

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Good God...
Welcome to the future of things folks...
Ack!!!

Classical Encryption/Auth under Quantum Attacks

It is a pdf so will ask you to run or save.

The upside is that quantum encryption (if you can get your hands on it without getting killed) is projected to be unbreakable, even under quantum attack.

redheadedrod
Re: Security: Quantum Hacking

In one of my security classes we had an article that talked about how Quantum computers will be able to break most current encryption methods within a few seconds because of how they work. The future of encryption will be changing drastically once Quantum computing becomes available to anyone other than research facilities. Quantum computing is in its infancy and publicly there is no true viable Quantum computer available yet but once they are you can expect security to change.

Research has been ongoing to find ways to encrypt on a conventional digital computer that will be difficult to break on Quantum computers as well. I had actually seen mention that one of the original Encryption techniques used by computers actually will work against a quantum computer but I don't remember the details anymore.

So yes, security will most certainly change once Quantum computers are available. You can expect that our Government will tie this technology up for as long as it can.

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/17 19:42

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Hey RHR, hope your summer of code is going swell...

Quote:

Research has been ongoing to find ways to encrypt on a conventional digital computer that will be difficult to break on Quantum computers as well.

How bout the X-Quantum machine emulator module? Most likely a job for the evil genius of the XOOPS "Q-branch"...Wishcraft.

Quote:

I had actually seen mention that one of the original Encryption techniques used by computers actually will work against a quantum computer but I don't remember the details anymore.

One time pad technology used by cold war spies would be impervious if based on pure randomness, preferably from sources outside and unrelated to the machine. Quantums advantage is that the largest of prime numbers are no longer any match and ciphertext will no longer have any long prime number space to hide in.

Quote:

there is no true viable Quantum computer available yet but once they are you can expect security to change.

Tell that to the folks at Google
"Google Buys Quantum Computer for Artificial Intelligence Lab"

They claim to be using it to better match ads to your activities using AI.
Yeah right.

redheadedrod

There is a computer available that is said to do some quantum computing but as I said, Quantum computing is in its infancy and that mentioned computer really is not a full blown Quantum computer. There was an article on Popular Science that briefly mentioned this computer and how it is sort of one but not what is fully envisioned as one.

About the Q-Branch... Too funny...

Summer its self could be better, broke my thumb a couple months ago. Seem to be fighting with outdated computers breaking down on me and haven't really had the motivation to do much if any coding. I will be attending a new college in the fall that is a much better college for programming I am told. I will be digging into low level OS stuff. I need to get my butt in gear and get some PHP projects done... It is hard to get motivated when it seems like Xoops is in suspended animation CORE wise right now though.

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/18 16:43

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

You're not alone. When I need motivation for something else, I just sit down to start fidgeting with module code. Within five minutes, I am supremely motivated for all kinds of other things. Its like a miracle (not to dissuade module devs in any way).

To protect your thumbs in the future, always maintain a two foot clearance from the edge of the road while hitchhiking.

redheadedrod

Lol, I wish it was that easy Xoo...

I was riding my Bicycle on a trail and was going around a curve where there was a 4 inch wide pile of wet slippery mud. I of course rode through it at about 10mph and my bike tires immediately slide sideways and dropped me to the ground. I ended up jamming my thumb into something and ended up with a hairline fracture. I can sort of type with it now but its been a couple months now. I ended up with a deep bruise from hip to knee that still hurts in spots, the broken thumb, a road rash the size of a pear on my elbow, and luckily I was wearing a helmet. The helmet had the whole side smashed in and I had to buy a new one. The bike survived with no damage other than like an inch of mud on its length... I had only ridden through this area a couple times before and it was dry every where else. There are big signs that state it is slippery when wet but this was the first time I had gone through there when it had any moisture on that part of the trail. Lesson learned. Ride slowly through the area when you can't see...

Thanks for the motivation. I received a new PHP book that has some awesome stuff in it and it was written in 2013 so it should be pretty current. It even has a section that loosely explains PDO which answered a couple questions I had.

Mamba
  • 2013/7/18 20:23

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Quote:
It is hard to get motivated when it seems like Xoops is in suspended animation CORE wise right now though.

Why make others responsible for your motivation?

Just wake up in the morning and ask YOURSELF a question:

What can I do today for XOOPS?????

Then start working on some code, commit it to SVN, and share with others. Once accomplished, it will make you feel better, and your day will be much brighter!!!!

It is much easier than waiting for other people
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/18 20:24

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

While off topic, get yourself a large powerful magnet, find the north face (the one that the N side of the compass needle attracts to), and place the north field over the pain area. Pain should go away in a few minutes for anything besides a busted kneecap or advanced stage toothache. It will also accelerates healing. Just don't use the wrong side, the south field will aggravate the condition (use compass to verify).

Don't ask how it works, it does. ToysRUs used to have a cheap magnetic levitating top toy with a heavy magnetic base with a powerful 4 x 4 magnet you can gut for this. Large speakers are another source of these.

Okay, back on topic.

xoobaru
  • 2013/7/18 20:31

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

What can I do today for XOOPS?????

John F. Kennedy said something along those lines and look what happened to him.

Some days I find that my XOOPS implementations actually determine a good part of the days agenda. I meant that in a good way.

Good advice in general. Attitude is everything.

Login

Who's Online

278 user(s) are online (178 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 278

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits