Tarik
2.6 a chance to get out of templates hell
  • 2013/6/9 17:59

• Tarik

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2010/2/3 1

Hello,
today i wanna get a topic to light - the templates hell - it seems like exaggeration but it is the truth, one of the best thing that was done to Xoops is bootstrap and oh boy i'm still exploring its full potential but in my current works using 2.5.6 i implemented it in the theme, and it was very nice but the look of the content area was horrible and i had to change nearly 30 template file and more in the way to fit the look and feel of bootstrap, and i think many others did the same which i think isn't a very healthy thing for a CMS, its very painful when having 5 different breadcrumbs structure and styling in same site:(

I understand that module developers aren't designers but why do we have every time a new major update release, to update all modules - ex: blue move and the later jquery/bootstrap implementation - to fit, ModuleAdmin class was a very innovative approach for a unique GUI all abroad the module's admin area, but why isn't there one front side? an example of this is the ThemeForm class, where updating the form syntax from table one to the bootstrap one was easy?

tl;dr: why not have a ModuleAdmin class like for front end, managing rendering breadcrumbs, categories, media objects, comments? it will surely make developers life easier ;)
Some people like what you do,
-- some people hate what you do,
---- but most people simply don’t give a damn.

AngeloRocha
Re: 2.6 a chance to get out of templates hell

hi Tarik, i agree with you.
For me the hardest part of creating a template for XOOPS is exactly stylize their modules.

Before launching my template in html 5, was working on three variations of the theme factory, but quit to devote myself only to XOOPS, HTML5, CSS3 and Bootstrap.

Now the night (in Brazil), was finalizing these models, which do not have bootstrap, to provide for the community, but I think this important initiative to try to standardize the development of themes with Bootstrap, I'm working on a new version of my model HTML 5, more would be really interesting if the modules already come natively with HTML 5 elements as <header>, <section>, <article> etc ...

I will continue working on stylizing the modules directory of my themes, however I hope that changes in the new versions of XOOPS. I know that developers are not designers, so I am available to help on any project for the community.
www.xoopsfire.com

tatane
Re: 2.6 a chance to get out of templates hell
  • 2013/6/12 9:02

• tatane

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/5/6 1

Hello
I also think it would be good to review the structure of themes today because they are overwhelmed.

For me, many basic things missing from the theme. For example, when we want to create a menu we have to go through the theme.hml to manually write the links and forwarding addresses. This stuff is easy for someone who knows HTML only for a beginner person is a drag. It is therefore necessary that all that is related to links through the core and a smarty base is incorporated directly into the theme.html like that, people will not have to put them manually.

Regarding the structure: Currently on Xoops we in three areas to determine preferences. Left blocks, the central blocks, the blocks on the right. If we want to add for example blocks we need to add footer in theme.html and plus they are not controllable from the preferences. If we look for example joomla, any changes made ​​to the structure theme is controllable from the core.

On joomla there are two large files to create or change a theme.

templateDetails.xml : It is he who determines the name of the position

Quote:

<positions>
<position>banner</position>
<position>debug</position>
<position>position-0</position>
<position>position-1</position>
<position>position-2</position>
<position>position-3</position>
<position>position-4</position>
<position>position-5</position>
<position>position-6</position>
<position>position-7</position>
<position>position-8</position>
<position>position-9</position>
<position>position-10</position>
<position>position-11</position>
<position>position-12</position>
<position>position-13</position>
<position>position-14</position>
<position>xdposition-14</position>
<position>footer</position>
</positions>

These positions are the basic ones present. If we want to add another we simply add more ex <position>xdposition-14</position>

It's position is determined by tp=1 option which allows you to see the structure of the theme:
Resized Image

ex : with the code we see that we have a location under the banner nome position-8

Resized Image

Quote:

<div id="sidebar" class="span3">
<div class="sidebar-nav">
<jdoc:include type="modules" name="position-8" style="xhtml" />
</div>
</div>

We have more than to select the location

Resized Image

index.php : Who is the equivalent of our theme.html of this file, we can build the template of our theme.

should also be an option where each widget developer themes add their own options according to their theme as is currently being done on WP.

On the framework: XOOPS 2.6 decide to make these themes with the framework, it is also very well only should any administration xoops and all modules are also developing with bootstrap because otherwise I do not see the interest.

Something which is very inconvenient currently on XOOPS is the smarty <{$xoops_contents}>. Currently with this system, we can not display the content of a module in a specific area that does not contain blocks.

Sorry for my english

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits