AStew8
STMP Issue with Windows Live Domain
  • 2013/5/27 1:56

• AStew8

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/5/27

I inherited a Xoops 2.3.1 site and I have now just upgraded to 2.5.6. I have also moved the email to a Windows Live domain so I am trying to setup SMTPAuth settings now.

I have SMTPAuth selected with the host as smtp.live.com:587 (also tried port 25 as well). When I try and email a user as a test, I get the following error:

Quote:
SMTP server error: 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first

From what I have Googled SMTP with Gmail and/or other SMTP should work with Xoops 2.5.x.

There is only a custom module and the System module for this site. I also checked that my server host is NOT blocking any SMTP ports.

Anyone have a suggestion to get this working?

xoobaru
Re: STMP Issue with Windows Live Domain
  • 2013/5/27 2:17

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Their mail server is probably enforcing TLS (encrypted) connections for SMTPauth and your XOOPS phpmailer client is not set up out of the box to set up a TLS connection. This is to protect the SMTP authentication process from third party prying eyes.

The class.smtp.php file used by XOOPS has the following code

/**    * Initiate a TLS communication with the server.    *    * SMTP CODE 220 Ready to start TLS    * SMTP CODE 501 Syntax error (no parameters allowed)    * SMTP CODE 454 TLS not available due to temporary reason    * @access public    * @return bool success    */   public function StartTLS() {

So it looks like it is set up to attempt a TLS connection, so why it is not I am not quite sure. TLS typically uses port 25 instead of 465.

Login

Who's Online

229 user(s) are online (149 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 229

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits