bubbaearth
Deleted news still showing on front page
  • 2013/4/1 11:03

• bubbaearth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/4/1 1

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this problem. We 'inherited' our website etc., form our daughter and as part of our attempt to rejuvenate it, I went in through the admin menu and 'pruned' all of the old news stoires and posted a new item about the relaunch.

If I'm in the admin section there is only a single item showing and all the old stories have disappeared (as expected) but when I open actual site all of the old items are still there, and there is no sign of the new item I uploaded. I've cleared the cache (firefox) to no avail and if I open the site in Chrome I get the same result.

I'm not sure what version I'm using but it's probably quite old.
Found it - Powered by XOOPS 2.0.10

The website is www.bubbaearth.com.au

Thanks

Mamba
Re: Deleted news still showing on front page
  • 2013/4/1 12:13

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

You News is working just fine, i.e. you have properly removed all the old articles.

If you want the news on the front page, go to Admin - Preferences - General Settings, and set News as the "Module for your start page"

The other items that are currently on the front page are either coming from another module that is currently set as "Module for your start page", or they are coming from Blocks.

So first step is to News as your "Module for your start page".

If the other text is still on, go to Blocks, and disable those blocks.

And you have to think about upgrading XOOPS to the upcoming XOOPS 2.5.6, since the XOOPS 2.0.10 is way too old. But first check what PHP version are you running and MySQL, as it will be important in the upgrade.
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/4/2 17:00

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

You may be seeing cached (stored) content. Try cleaning caches under admin maintenance console (whisk broom icon), if they have it in version 2.0.

bubbaearth
  • 2013/4/2 23:13

• bubbaearth

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/4/1 1

Thanks for the help. All sorted now.

I agree that I need to update my installation. Are you able to give me a link to some simple instrucions for the upgrade?

Cheers
Joe

xoobaru
  • 2013/4/3 0:12

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Below is a snippet from 2.5.5 final release page
You can download 2.5.5 from there too. Good luck.

Upgrading from previous versions older than 2.5.0 (Full Update):

0. Verify the system requirements, in particular the version of PHP. Backup your XOOPS database and site directory. (There are several ways to do these actions, which are discussed elsewhere.) Turning your site off is optional.
Change the permissions on mainfile.php and /include/license.php to be writable, for example:
File Normal For upgrade
mainfile.php 400 700
/include/license.php 444 777
Get the XOOPS 2.5.5 package from the SourceForge file repository.
1. In the upgrade package folder, move the "upgrade" folder inside the "htdocs" folder, if it's not already there. Remove the install folder from the "htdocs" folder, if it's there. Remove the mainfile.php file from the "htdocs" folder, if it's there.
If you've moved the xoops_data and xoops_lib folders outside your site's root directory, move these folders out of the "htdocs" folder in the upgrade package folder.
2. Delete the /modules/system directory on your current XOOPS site (to get rid of any old unnecessary files).
3. Overwrite the files in the XOOPS directory on your current XOOPS site with the content of "htdocs" folder of the upgrade package. (There are several ways to do this action, which are discussed elsewhere.)
As noted above, if relocated, overwrite the files in your current xoops_data and xoops_lib with the content of those in the upgrade package.
4. If you have Protector previously installed, open the "mainfile.php" file , and remove the Pre-check and Post-check lines (if they exist):
include XOOPS_TRUST_PATH.'/modules/protector/include/precheck.inc.php' ;
include XOOPS_TRUST_PATH.'/modules/protector/include/postcheck.inc.php' ;
5. At your site's address (URL), login as administrator. Access /upgrade/ with a browser, and follow the instructions (and any for updating your XOOPS database). After all updates have been applied (green checkmarks), note the link in the Updater to update the "system" module, and do so.
6. Delete the "upgrade" folder from your site's "htdocs" directory.
7. Update (reload) other modules, especially "Profile", "PM", and "Protector," if necessary.
8. Change permissions on the files noted above back to their normal state.
9. Turn your site back on, if you turned it off earlier.

Mamba
  • 2013/4/3 2:03

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I am afraid, it might be more complicated for his version

If I am not mistaken, he needs to update first to something like 2.0.17, before he can do the upgrade with the latest XOOPS version.

Let me check, because I could be wrong on this.

Unless somebody did it before and remembers details...
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

xoobaru
  • 2013/4/3 14:41

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

When you find out, it should be posted on the 2.5.5 or 2.5.6 final page, as there are legacy users out there. I can draft an insert for the 2.5.5 or 2.5.6 final page if I can get accurate information on what amendments need to be made.

Login

Who's Online

169 user(s) are online (120 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 169

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits