Anonymous
Module (Animal)Pedigree, is it worth upgrading?
  • 2013/3/3 16:45

• Anonymous

• Since:

The xoops module Animalpedigree was developed some years ago in the Netherlands. It is still used by many clubs of dog breeders to maintain a database with pedigree info.

In the past it was a module you had to pay for but it looks like the original developer has given it to the community.

On nlxoops there where several support requests about this module, I have seen them also on xoops.org, frxoops and the German Xoops support site. So I guess it is worth to adopt this module as a community and update it to current Xoops standards and the new module admin.

I am not a coder so would like a ‘guru’ to look at it this module. Is it a huge job to bring this module up to current standards? On my webserver I only get blank pages (xoops 2.5.5 or php incompatibility?)

Animalpedigree can be seen in action here, here and here. But is used on many xoops sites all over the world.

The module can be downloaded here

Mamba
Re: Module (Animal)Pedigree, is it worth upgrading?
  • 2013/3/3 18:21

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

If it is a popular module, then we definitely should update it!

Is there anywhere a tutorial on how to use this module in more details?

I kind of found my way around it, but it would be easier to have a clear tutorial in English. For example, there are bunch of search fields on your demo sides, but in my installation I have only one search field. How do we add them?

It seems like everything is done on the front end, with no Admin side at all. Should we change it to make it more consistent with other XOOPS modules?

One problem that I see already is that it doesn't run on PHP 5.4, as it uses "import_request_variables" which is removed in PHP 5.4, so we would have to look for a way to rewrite it, probably with "extract". But on PHP 5.3 it seems to be OK.

Do we have actual users here on the forums?

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/3 19:43

• Anonymous

• Since:

The webmaster from this site asked help on nlxoops.nl this week, I'll point her to this topic.

The original developer was James Cotton (a Dutchmen from English origin). It seems difficult to contact him, I'll try again! It's for sure he abandoned the module but maybe he can give us some more info. A few years ago some French xoopsers have done some work on the module. I will put a new post in the French thread to see if someone reacts.

It looks like this old module still fills a gap, as people starting breeding websites want to use it. Reviving it also serves people using the module now, as they will get php troubles in feature. And don't get me wrong, I'm not a dog owner myself, they smell bad

Thank you for examining the module Mamba!

mizzsylver
  • 2013/3/3 20:21

• mizzsylver

• Just popping in

• Since: 2013/3/3 2

Hello,

I'm using this module on www.duitseherderdatabase.nl

There is no tutorial for this module.

In the menu there is the option webmaster tools. With create userfields you can add several fields, with or without search option, visible on pedigree or not, etc.

I hope there is someone who would update this module, maybe I can help with the tutorial.

Mamba
  • 2013/3/3 20:40

• Mamba

Quote:
I hope there is someone who would update this module, maybe I can help with the tutorial.

What kind of update are you looking for? Just to make it work on PHP 5.4?

Since everything is done on the front-end, I am not sure if it would make any sense to add our standard XOOPS 2.5.5 Admin GUI, since the only function would be Help and About with Changelog.

I think, Tutorial would be very good.

Support XOOPS => DONATE

Cesagonchu

Take a look here, for more updates or informations on this module.

Mamba
  • 2013/3/4 6:53

• Mamba

OK, I've done some "quick and dirty" update to this module to version 1.30 Beta 1:

- updated to PHP 5.4
- updated to XOOPS 2.5.5 Admin GUI
- renamed tables to follow our new convention of "mod_module_table" (the module will rename existing tables automatically during "update")
- fixed few bugs
- added XOOPS classes for each table so they use XOOPS API (currently only in the backend).

I was using TDMCreate for it - I am trying to use it to generate the required classes for existing tables, so we save some time when ere refactoring older modules. After couple of these exercises I will go back to TDMCreate and make some improvements so the generated code will get better. Tigmno is doing also a lot of good work there, so I am looking forward to testing his latest code.

I didn't touch the front end, as I need to understand more the DB and module structure. Maybe the original developer has some documentation that we could use. Plus we don't really want to touch it, because current users most probably wouldn't like it

And I also didn't do any security audit on the code, so maybe somebody who is good at that could take a look at the code and check it out for any possible vulnerabilities.

But I think, we should just rename this module to "Pedigree" and make it official
What do you think?

It is really a very cool module, and I like several of the features, incl. the charts, and adding custom fields

We can make some more improvement here and there to make it more consistent with other modules, but nothing crazy, just make it more user-friendly, like adding few tables, and spice it up graphically. I would love to see few of our designers to take a shot at that and make it really cool looking!

It's nice to see how XOOPS can be used to develop cool solutions. We need more of this!

Download: SourceForge File Repository
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Anonymous
  • 2013/3/4 12:30

• Anonymous

• Since:

Great work Mamba I managed to install this module without blank pages now, and it's even better then I imagined. It's the kind of niche module forcing webmasters to choose xoops as a cms

I found two errors. When adding a new temporary or new custom field debug tells

Quote:
Fout: Handler does not exist Module: animal Name: animal_ in bestand /include/functions.php regel 88

(Xoops 2.5.5/ PHP 5.3.19)

Mamba
  • 2013/3/4 18:00

• Mamba

Quote:
I found two errors. When adding a new temporary or new custom field

I'll look into it, but we shouldn't be adding records in the backend, because it has a direct access to the database table, but we don't know right now what else is required when a new record is created.

So the backend right now is more to view and potentially edit, but all other activities should be happening in the frontend.

If we get a documentation showing what is happening or somebody wants to go through and document it, then we could take a look into it. But I don't think I'll have the time to analyze the module and document what it does. I have contacted the author to see if he has any documentation, and we'll see if he will respond.

I would like to see here some of the current users of the module, to hear from them about their experiences, and if they could write a tutorial for this module.
Support XOOPS => DONATE

Cesagonchu

In 2010, one of our members had made some corrections for the "animal" module.
Maybe you can compare and see if there are things to pick up.

animal_pedigree.zip

Login

Who's Online

143 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 143

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits