xoobaru
Any recent profile module with captcha option for logins?
  • 2013/1/30 19:24

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2010/12/2

Hi,
I know there have been many flavors of profile module released over the past couple of years. Is there one that allows captcha for both registration and login?

Anonymous
Re: Any recent profile module with captcha option for logins?
  • 2013/1/30 19:33

• Anonymous

• Since:

Captcha is to prevent robots making accounts on your site. What's the sense to also add it to the login page?

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/30 20:42

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

To make sure what is trying to log in is not a bot programmed by the human who created the account to get past the registration captcha to snoop around in the private area of the site.

That was all done in one breath...

chefry
  • 2013/1/30 22:22

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

That would be my first and LAST visit to your website. What a pain in the A$$.

Seriously though, I'm running 5 Xoops websites and I'm not having problems with bot snooping

A capcha screen at every login is not necessary

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/30 23:12

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

It did happen, once from the Ukraine, and once from Poland. I only have one site. I know it is an extra step, and frankly I am not sure what percent of people would stop visiting if I did this. I suppose I could just block the countries altogether and be done with it.

irmtfan
  • 2013/1/31 3:39

• irmtfan

• Module Developer

• Since: 2003/12/7

yes for regular community websites it would be a headache.
I just can see this option really missing for secured websites like banking/accounting/financial websites that need to do secure transactions. (use https://)
Of course these kind of websites always use an expert team so maybe they dont rely on a free CMS.

but anyway it would be a good feature to add in xoops but have a normal or low priority you can add to feature request tracker.

chefry
  • 2013/1/31 14:19

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

FYI

Ticketmaster is dumping the captcha system because it's such a pain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21260007

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/31 14:46

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

Only interested in visitors with the security trumps convenience model anyway. Not a commercial or profit driven site so loss of even 90 percent of visitors to lack of convenience is not an issue.

Anonymous
  • 2013/1/31 19:30

• Anonymous

• Since:

The idea is not bad, but I guess it would be more useful and user friendly when adding captcha at module level. Captcha is mainly used to prevent spam, so why not add an extra doorstep for users placing comments or forum posts?

When login in daily and have to use captcha is annoying, but having to use captcha when posting is just an extra step. In preferences you could give trusted users the rights to post without captcha.

xoobaru
  • 2013/1/31 21:08

• xoobaru

• Just can't stay away

There are two classes of bots, spamming and content stealers (monitors). Radian6 in your home country makes a living using bots to steal other sites content for its clients, some which get pretty low and slimy in the food chain.

My focus was on the content stealers. Human assistance during registration would allow bots (pre-programmed to use the auth) to autonomously login as a user through a captchaless login process. While your suggestion is great for a spam bot, the same could not be imposed on bot that reads content without the same having to be imposed on the visitor. That would be more a pain in the dupa (doopa?) than a login captcha.

A login captcha, if it existed would have been an incrementally better because the bot would not be able to log in without human assistance. And I am not asking anyone to develop one, I was just wondering if one was already available.

Do you think that I should change the wrench in my avatar to a sledgehammer instead?

Login

Who's Online

175 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 175

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits