kossel
xoops legacy version update
  • 2012/2/15 4:54

• kossel

• Just popping in

• Since: 2012/2/15

Hi today I got assigned a task, since I'm new with xoops, I have few questions for developers, hope you can help me.

a team has developed some modules for their application long time ago (about 5-6 years ago) and used xoops as a intranet portal. the version of the xoops they used is 1.8.x

my task is to upgrade the portal (xoops) to most recent version possible considering do not have to rewriting completely those old modules. I have not problem making changes. most API they used were the user permission control API.

I looked at sourceforge.net and I couldn't find any information of xoops prior 2.0.

is that possible upgrade from 1.8 to 2.x.x?

and considering above, which version of xoops do you recommend me upgrade to?

thanks for your help

Mamba
Re: xoops legacy version update
  • 2012/2/15 12:24

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I assume, it should be possible, but I don't have any upgrade file from XOOPS 1.8 to 2.x.

Does anybody have some of the old upgrade files?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

iHackCode

can you recheck that version number, i believe it only went up to 1.3.10.

a link to a mirror of the old files.
http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/sourceforge/x/project/xo/xoops/OldFiles/
and this has a few more. (it has 1.3.10 in there)
http://underpop.free.fr/x/xo/xoops/index.php?sort=name
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

kossel
  • 2012/2/15 17:55

• kossel

• Just popping in

thanks! maybe you are right, I have been searching, for 5-6 ago the version should be 2.0.x so I may be wrong, It may be 2.0.18 instead of 1.8.x.

if it's 2.0.18 which version do you suggest me to upgrade to considering what I mentioned before.

Quote:
my task is to upgrade the portal (xoops) to most recent version possible considering do not have to rewriting completely those old modules. I have not problem making changes. most API they used were the user permission control API.

iHackCode

check the /include/version.php file, it should say define("XOOPS_VERSION", and some Xoops version number.

Xoops 1.3.10 was released back in 2003 so unless your project is really old it is probably one of the xoops2 versions. If it is a newer version, it would make upgrading easier because its not the core you may have issues with, but the modules. Xoops 2 introduces the smarty template engine which xoops 1 didn't have. The upgrade of the core files and database structure is easy, but as always Always do a backup of the Files and Database. Some would even suggest to test it out locally with wamp (http://wampserver.com) . There is a version of Xoops before when core devs began started removing the deprecated functions, I don't remember what version that was, but i would suggest to go to that version first. Maybe someone else knows what version that is.

If you decide to go with xoops 2.5.4, the release notes (in the news article and also included in the full package) has instructions on what to do to upgrade your site. the updater has scripts built in that will update your database schema which makes it easy. but problems may occur and if they do or u got any more questions feel free to post them.
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

kossel
  • 2012/2/15 22:04

• kossel

• Just popping in

really appreciate for your help! I will check it out and post back
thanks

Anonymous
  • 2012/2/15 22:23

• Anonymous

• Since:

Quote:
Really appreciate for your help!

Welcome, that is the power of XOOPS!!!

redheadedrod

Depending on how your system is done you will want to upgrade to one of the more recent versions of Xoops and test it out.

Also depending on the modules in your system you will have to mode to a newer version or to a completely different module.

The biggest change for you will be the 2.3.3 version. This was the first version that used PHP5 code. You could try upgrading to this version and see what breaks. Anything that breaks will likely be because it requires PHP5.

You can then move to 2.4.5 which really wasn't much new other than a better user interface for the admin stuff.

The latest versions are the 2.5 series which really was more updating the support code to the latest stuff , some minor tweaking and some bug killing.

2.6 is under development and will require some changes to modules as a lot of the very old code has been removed and been updated. If your module works with 2.5 however, you should find that the majority of modules should be able to be upgraded to 2.6 with a simple search and replace (Hopefully) but since this is pre alpha at this point this is subject to change.

Having said all that, you need to setup a server on a local machine as mentioned and try upgrading to that. You will want to disable all of your modules before you upgrade your xoops and then reinable them one by one to test them.

You really want to try to upgrade directly to 2.5.4. The other steps are really not necessary but are possibilities if you should so desire to use them. It will require the most upgrades and will likely cause the most grief for you but unless you plan to stick with an older version you will have to upgrade at some point. It should also be noted that as newer versions come out security issues that have been found are also dealt with so the latest stable version (2.5.4) is generally also the most secure as well.

Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

kossel
  • 2012/2/17 2:47

• kossel

• Just popping in

woah :O thanks for all your tips. first time with xoops and the community is very nice

Login

Who's Online

275 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 275

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits