Nick_James
XPRESSME 2.42 Deprecated error in xpress_block_render.php

Latest version of XOOPS
XPReSSME 2.42
Is there a later version.

Getting a:

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in ...modules/blog/include/xpress_block_render.php on line 37

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in .../modules/blog/include/xpress_block_render.php on line 39

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in .../modules/blog/include/xpress_block_header.php on line 38

Warning: Call-time pass-by-reference has been deprecated in ...modules/blog/include/xpress_block_header.php on line 40

Nick_James
Re: XPRESSME 2.42 Deprecated error in xpress_block_render.php

Anybody? How do I get rid of these deprecated functions?
Nicholas James
President - LaDads
www.ladads.info

redheadedrod

As mentioned elsewhere the depreciated code is code that will not work in future versions of Xoops. If it is working for you now I wouldn't worry about it too much. Chances are that due to those depreciated pieces of code that module will not work without modification with 2.6. However if I am not mistaken, all modules will have to be slightly reworked to work with 2.6 but it should be a relatively simple modification.

Also, there are two types of depreciated code. Depreciated by Xoops and Depreciated because of PHP version.

If it is depreciated by xoops and you are running fine with 2.5 then I would suggest NOT upgrading to 2.6 without testing on another host to make sure everything is working correctly. (2.6 is not currently available yet.) Otherwise just turn off the debug stuff and you should be fine. It is NOT an error, it is just a warning. If you change it to non depreciated code you will not likely notice any difference in the way the module works now but will still work in future versions. But as I already mentioned, because of upgrades to the system, If I am not mistaken some system calls are made differently with 2.6 so you will have to update any module to work with it. But I believe at this time it will be a simple cut and paste requirement.

With PHP depreciations you can expect that module to break with a future upgrade of your php host. This code needs to be changed as soon as possible because hosts tend to upgrade things without warning due to new security issues or other upgrades. With most PHP depreciations that I have seen they generally show the function that they suggest you use that has replaced it. The new function is normally a little different so it is not a simple search and replace operation. You may need slight code changes to work with the new functions.

But as I said, depreciated code is not broken code.. It just needs to be updated because it will not work in a future version.

Rodney
Attending College working towards Bachelors in Software Engineering and Network Security.

Nick_James

Thank you for the great explanation.

The problem is that is shows up on the screen.

Yes,the debug mode is set to OFF (general settings).

So where do I go to hide the error messages from the users?

Peekay
  • 2012/2/17 8:55

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

You could try adding the error reporting line mentioned in this post to an htaccess file in your site root.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

120 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 120

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits