marm
i most be blind
  • 2010/7/18 15:26

• marm

• Just popping in

• Since: 2010/7/18

i got a real stupid question
i decided to try xoops,been using other systems before
i installd everything yesterday, works fine and looks like a good system only 1 small problem i can not find where to type articles, little hard to build a site without doing that lol, some help please

Mamba
Re: i most be blind
  • 2010/7/18 16:52

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

Hi Marm,

welcome to XOOPS!

What you've downloaded is the "core". Now you might decide what functionality you need, and then download the appropriate modules.

For articles, you can try News 1.66.

After you unzip the file, copy the /news directory to your server to /modules, then go to Admin and install it. Create Topics, set the permissions, and you should be ready to go.

Good luck, and feel free to ask questions if you get lost again.

Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

deepak267
  • 2010/7/18 21:23

• deepak267

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2008/8/15

Welcome to Xoops,

I am using AMS ( Article Management System). You can try that. Its really cool.

Deepak
A member of www.AquariumHomeCare.com

marm
  • 2010/7/20 16:56

• marm

• Just popping in

nice ty , i get right on it ^^

marm
  • 2010/7/20 18:06

• marm

• Just popping in

this is better in a way, when core comes whitout mods u can be sure there is no ????? that u dont use,but i think evryone want articles on the site lol
What is the bigest difrent betwean this system and others, and what mod whould u recomend for a forum?
Im bulding a gameing site + remaking my old htm,asp site , I been trying serveral systems trying to deicide what to use so fare xoops seems like one of the best systems, jombla was good but most mods that are any good cost money, cant afford that and kinda remove the point of open source

Peekay
  • 2010/7/20 19:07

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

Choose your Xoops version based on PHP version. The 2.4.* is for PHP 4. The 2.5 is for PHP 5 only. The installer is good, so you shouldn't have any issues.

Modules are uploaded to the 'modules' folder and then installed through admin. The modules 'News', 'Publisher' or 'AMS' (deepak267's choice) all do pretty much the same thing. You can allow your users to post articles and then check them before publication. Or, you can add trusted people to a group who are allowed to publish stuff straight away without you checking it first. Xoops has the edge with user permissions.

This forum is called 'CBB'. It's been around a while and is stable. The custom search is fast and users can attach images etc. depending on the permissions you set.

Themes are uploaded to the 'themes' folder and again installed through admin. Xoops themes are mostly free. Check out the themes library and the theme demos. There are some gaming themes in there (somewhere).

If you get stuck, the docs are in the FAQ here on Xoops.org.

HTH.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

marm
  • 2010/7/21 16:56

• marm

• Just popping in

ty for fast reply , ya i been reading alot on the forum, template i think i try and make my own cant be much different then making a template for php/html or jombla,

i like stable lol so cbb it is, If i can get it to work, i installed the mod but when i go to modules - cbb - forums or modules - cbb - anyting im just getting a blank page only ting i can access is the mod settings tru the module page but thats a later prioritized problem,

what i can not figure out how to do and need to do first is the basic in making a site meaning putting in all the information,
how in earth do i make a article and make it published as its own page with a menu link or where i want it, no matter if i use 'News', 'Publisher' same ting all articles is under the menu link 'News', or 'Publisher' on the same page

Login

Who's Online

111 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 111

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits