noo-b
How did you know about xoops ?
  • 2010/6/3 8:04

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

i don't know if there is such topic i tried to search ..but i guess i use the wrong keyword...

but I would like to learn how do you guys know about xoops ?

For me..this is my XOOPS story
during early 2000 there was this guy, who made one of the most popular sport website at that time in my state.

i got so jealous how did he made such a good website

and at that time all i know about website creation is using dream weaver, frontpage. geocities, tripod etc...
never heard about CMS

lol

i browse thru the guys website...and i see there is a link in the footer...Powered by XOOPS

and the rest is history
it is sad right now he rebuild the site using other cms...

i actually also have other website using other cms...but xoops is my favorite and first love 90 % of my websites is build with XOOPS

- now i have several xoops site ..some personal, company website etc
- i visit xoops.org almost everyday..addicted to xoops..lol.......i registered in xoops.org early in 2007 but in
fact i'm a visitor since early 2000..
- xoops have its up and down and i still stick with xoops...lol i don't know why
- i will always promote xoops to my friends who want to learn about cms
- i have managed to made some simple custom module with my limited php and mysql knowledge

right now I'm just hungry to have new features in xoops like in xoops 2.5 and also maybe 3.0

it can't be denied there is some must have feature that is missing in xoops......

but at this time being im happy using xoops 2.4.4

I love XOOPS...Thank you XOOPS

P/S: sorry for my Bad english..
I Love Xoops

trabis
Re: How did you know about xoops ?
  • 2010/6/3 9:12

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I was called to moderate a website running xoops (year 2006). I had no knowledge about php, css, html and it was difficult for me to understand what a database was needed for (I never used database for my ZXSpectrum Basic programs).
The admin side of Xoops was very friendly and I had no trouble in adding content, moving blocks around, etc. Shortly after, this friend of mine, talked me about a new hosting service that he created. He just asked me what domain I wanted, gave me a quick ftp tips, and two days latter there I was uploading xoops modules into the server!

I was lucky, Xoops turned out to be exactly what I needed for building a community powered website.

Viva Xoops!

noo-b
  • 2010/6/5 7:08

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

anyone else want to share how did you guys know about XOOPS...
I Love Xoops

bjuti
  • 2010/6/5 9:25

• bjuti

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2009/1/7 2

It was 2004. I was and I still am an big Amiga computer fan.

My friend made some funny photos of serbian nonsense situations like iliteracy, stupid buildings, stupid situations and so on and he share it on our local Amiga Dream Network.

So my idea was to make a website. But, since he was gfx and web designer he made website in FrontPage that looked great, but users start sending similar but GREAT photos. More than 100 a day. So it was the time then process should be automated.

I suggested Xoops to friend of mine, coz I saw that AmigaNews [as far as i remember] running on it. He made a website, and the story begins.

The name of the site was www.srbovanje.com, and it was well and most known website in Serbia, with more than 3000 unique visits then. Now it would be more than 20.000 coz those days was hard days for Internet in Serbia [no broadband etc].

In summer of 2007. everything gone bad, out database broked and my main admin friend didn't have a decent backup. Since then we're trying to up website again, but he is not for Xoops, since that he wrote his own CMS, blah blah.

Meanwhile, I learned Xoops a lot, and I start developing my own websites, and here I am with you :)

chefry
  • 2010/6/5 12:03

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

For almost 10 years I had one of the top 10 recipes websites on the net. But it was a pain in the A$$. Every recipe (over 23,000) was hard coded html. Each with it's own page, linked to indexes. And it was getting too big, too huge, too much space. It was such a pain to update , I would only do 2 updates a year because it took just as much time to add one file as it did to add 1,000 files.

CMS systems were just becoming popular and I figured there HAD to be a better way. So, I went hunting. I tried just about every CMS there was. If they were crap they got deleted after a day. Usually I would test for 1 or 2 months, see the limitations, and them move on.

I know HTML, but I'm not a programmer, and a lot of the CMS were not customer/user oriented. They were mostly in geekspeak.

Then I found Xoops. Easy to use, lots of modules at the time. Some nice themes, and WRAPS!!!!

Xoops and WRAPS were the only way to import all my hard coded html pages. Nobody else's CMS could do this. So, after a couple of months of experimenting, I chose Xoops.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Since then I've designed and built 5 or 6 Xoops based sites. 4 of which are mine and are on the web

http://www.franksrecipes.co.cc
http://frank-fileccia.co.cc
http://franks-photos.co.cc
http://kraslvilnis.co.cc
http://zapenglishclub.co.cc

Mamba
  • 2010/6/5 19:11

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

"Project JEDI" (another Open Source Project I was active in) was getting Web space on Borland's Website, and one of our members created it using XOOPS. That was back in 2003. At that time, as my focus was on Delphi, I had no idea about CMS or XOOPS, so it was quite a learning experience for me when I started to look into how he did it. I liked what I saw, so I started to experiment with it and learning it.

I officially joined the XOOPS community on Dec. 21, 2003, but due to time constraints, I wasn't very active. I rejoined the community again in Feb. 2005, but this time I got more engaged

Yes, I have to admit that I became a XOOPS addict, and I hope that by working all together we will make it a big success.

Please note - many of the stories here are that we've heard about XOOPS from a friend or associate. So it's important that we'll keep telling our friends about XOOPS, blog about it, and keep spreading the word!

Long live XOOPS!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

chefry
  • 2010/6/5 19:14

• chefry

• Home away from home

• Since: 2006/10/14

Google told ME about Xoops

Login

Who's Online

94 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 94

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits