Mazarin
Gallery (Optikool) - Cannot create categories or collections
  • 2010/1/22 22:44

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2008/12/10

I'm trying to test Optikools Gallery module, but can't get it to work. On the admin side, I can't create any new categories, because I simply haven't found how to. No button, no nothing. I can't create categories either, because when I press the Add Collection button the screen just flickers, but then nothing happens.

In the front-end, when I try to go to the module I just get redirected back to where I came from.

Anyone have an idea how to get it working?

Oh, and there are no error messages in the log. My system is:
XOOPS-version XOOPS 2.4.4
PHP-version 5.2.6-2ubuntu4.5
mySQL-ersion 5.0.67-0ubuntu6

Burning
Re: Gallery (Optikool) - Cannot create categories or collections
  • 2010/1/23 2:08

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

Not tested yet

Have you followed install instructions ?
Quote:
Gallery
Development of Gallery is done by Dana Harris (optikool)

GALLERY XOOPS Installation:
1. Make a backup of you database.
2. Upload gallery to modules/gallery
3. Run the installer in Admin/Modules

Post Installation
1. Set your gallery Categories under Categories.
2. Setup the path to your cache folder. Make sure this is writable. Uploads would be the best place to setup this folder.
3. Go to New Collections and
5. Run the Update Thumbnails and click Add Collections to generate your thumbnails and add the collections to the database.
6. Set your permissions for your first level gallery collections. This is different then setting the XOOPS module permissions.

Mazarin
  • 2010/1/23 9:28

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

I think so, yes. Installing the module works fine, but for the post installation tasks, I run into problems straight away.

How can I "set your Categories under Categories"? If I click on the Categories tab I get absolutely no options to do anything. I only get what looks like an empty list in a table

I have set my cache directory to the cache folder in the module directory, but that is writable and should work (I guess).

The only option I get under New Collections is Add Collections, but that doesn't work. Just flicker and then back to the same page

optikool
  • 2010/1/23 15:46

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/3/26

Hi,

This is a very simple module in that categories are considered empty folders and collections are considered folders with images. In order to create a category you must create a folder and put your collection folders that belong in that category inside the empty category folder. The module will then find the empty category folders and display them so you can add in the admin section. You could then go in and modify this category. When you go to the new collection tab you will see all of the collections and when you click the add button they will be added to the database and will be assigned to the category based on the folder the collection is in on the server. You can at a later time go in and modify the category for this collection.

When I have time I may change this whole approach and just make users manually create categories and then manually create the collections, like a I do with the Joomla version of this module. This approach takes all that manual work out of the process. :) But here is an example of what the folder structure could look like on your server...

gallery (folder of the root for your gallery)
  |
_ Animals (category if folder has no images)
    |
_ Cats (collection if images are in this folder)
    |
_ Dogs (collection if images are in this folder)
  |
_ Trees (category if folder has no images)
    |
_ Winter Trees (collection if images are in this folder)
    |
_ Summer Trees (collection if images are in this folder)
    |
_ Trees in the Spring (collection if images are in this folder)
  |
_ Me (collection if images are in this folder)

Let me know if this doesn't make sense. Also if at a later time you decide a collection belongs in a different category, don't move this folder on the server (unless you deleted the category in the admin menu then that fine). You can modify the collection and choose a different category from the list.

Optikool

Mazarin
  • 2010/1/23 16:06

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

OK, you have to create the folders on the server and not in the browser. I couldn't find this in any instructions, but maybe I didn't look closely enough. If it is not there I suggest you add it to avoid further stupid questions like mine

Still have a problem, though. I can add categories now, but when I try to add a collection to a category, it doesn't add it to the database. Just the same flicker and it is still there under New Collections. No errors in the log.

optikool
  • 2010/1/23 16:23

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,

Thanks, I will update the readme file and add this information to it.
I'm not sure how you are adding the collections to the category, but if after you created your categories and then went to New Collections and click the add button there, it should automatically add the collection to the category. But keep in mind, if you have a list of collections, for example my wife has over 100 collections in different categories, it will take time for the process to finish because thumbnails are generated in the cache folder for each collection. Originally I had the module generate thumbnails on the fly when ever a visitor would visit that collection on the front end, but Protector saw this as an attack and would ban the visitor. If you are using Firebug in Firefox, you can click on the Net tab and see if there are ajax requests being made for each collection. If you are seeing flickers, this may mean the thumbnails have already been created and it's just taking the rest of the information it needs and then going to the next collection. You said you're not seeing errors in the error log so this tells me that your cache directory is writable and everything is processing normally.

Also I just updated this module on my website back on the 21st with some fixes so if you downloaded this module before that date please download it again.

Optikool

Mazarin
  • 2010/1/23 20:24

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

I have the latest version, but I am beginning to suspect there is some incompatibility with versions here. Seems all kinds of parameters and paths don't passed the way they should, causing files not to be found etc.

Has Gallery been tested with XOOPS 2.4.x?

Mazarin
  • 2010/1/24 21:49

• Mazarin

• Just can't stay away

Has anyone got this module working in 2.3.x or 2.4.x?

optikool
  • 2010/1/25 1:26

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

Hi,

If you check Firebug and look at the ajax requests being made... if there are a bunch of undefined values, check if you are using the newest version of jQuery. My module has had problems with jQuery 1.4 in that it doesn't like my json string. This module is currently using the previous version 1.3.2 and I haven't had time to do the research to find out why my json string is not formatted correctly to the standard that 1.4 is using.

Optikool

Burning
  • 2010/1/25 1:49

• Burning

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/8/22

hi'

I'm testing Gallery module too, but I'm not able to make collections appear. I do not see Add new collection button

My images are located like this :
Quote:

www/gal/
-- gallery-01/image-01.jpg
-- gallery-01/image-02.jpg
-- gallery-02/image-03.jpg
-- gallery-02/image-04.jpg
-- gallery-03/image-05.jpg
-- gallery-03/image-06.jpg
-- gallery-04/
----/gallery-04A/image-07.jpg
----/gallery-04A/image-08.jpg
----/gallery-04B/image-09.jpg
----/gallery-04B/image-10.jpg

I use for test XOOPS 2.3.3, default themes (front and back offices) and Protector not uninstalled. I'm in local environment :
• XOOPS 2.3.3
• MySQL 5.1.36
• PHP 5.2.9
• PHP SafeMode: Off
• PHP Register Globals: Off
(• Cache Path: C:/wamp/www/BBX/modules/gallery/cache is writable ... but nothing inside)

I have noticed some warnings because php files below begins with <? instead of <?php :
• admin/admin_header.php
• admin/menu.php
• language/english/admin.php
• language/english/blocks.php
• language/english/main.php
• language/english/modinfo.php

Should I test it on an other environment ?

Thanks in advance, very promising and inovative module... but I'm sorry to not be able to make it works.

Edit myself : I just see that footer (back office side) does not appear for two tabs :
• Categories
• New collections

Quote: