adium
Wordpress and XOOPS, getting the best of both worlds
  • 2009/6/4 3:55

• adium

• Just popping in

• Since: 2005/1/18

I have a site that has wordpress as the main page (razornylon.com) and then I XOOPS in a folder (razornylon.com/xoops) and linked to from within xoops.

Wordpress is great, but its just a blog. Not a whole lot more.

What I am trying to do is to have both XOOPS and wordpress running in the root folder. The home page would be xoops, but any blog entries would be razornylon.com/whatever and not razornylon.com/modules/wordpress/whatever it just doesn't look as pretty. That module also doesn't support a large majority of the plugins customized for wordpress.

I want a blog that is still SEO friendly, but with the ease of use and expandability that XOOPS offers. Forum, FAQ, contact, games, downloads..., etc.

Any suggestions on how I can do this? My first attempt failed, which right now all you will find at any URL's I mentioned is a blank page so trying for round two, hoping I can get some pointers though!

vamptrix
Re: Wordpress and XOOPS, getting the best of both worlds
  • 2009/6/4 7:27

• vamptrix

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2008/5/3 1

I should say is use wordpress as a module (the wordpress for XOOPS module) and use the xoRewriteModule to get the SEO effect, as many people do.
I used to use this account, but no longer.

adium
  • 2009/6/4 7:51

• adium

• Just popping in

Tried that but wordpress is worthless without the akismet plugin. I get so overloaded with spam I spend 90% of my time deleting it.

I also use a wordpress plugin that functions as a tinyURL service.

adium
  • 2009/6/21 22:50

• adium

• Just popping in

Figured it out!

For more clarification on what I wanted, I love XOOPS, but in my own opinion Wordpress is one of the best supported CMS platforms out there. I even have one plugin that turns my site into a tinyURL.com service, which also forces my to host Wordpress in my root older. Wordpress is still not a true CMS and has a lot of limits as to what kind of site you can have with it.

This is where XOOPS comes in. I can do just about everything with XOOPS. I have tried using Joomla and Drupal, but always come back to XOOPS because they are the only ones that know what an embed code and YouTube video is.

So what I really wanted was to have XOOPS as my primary site, however using wordpress with the basic permalinks structure in the same folder as XOOPS, without affecting how XOOPS functions.

Once I figured out exactly what I needed I felt rather sad for myself, since it was so simple.

Wordpress already being in my root folder and XOOPS being in /xoops folder I moved XOOPS to the root folder and made the following changes to Wordpress.

Quote:
Rename index.php to wp-index.php
Edit .htaccess to relfect index.php changes

Changes to XOOPS:

Quote:
Delete xmlrpc.php and keep the file from Wordpress since I will be using Wordpress for any automatic posting.

Now I just have to figure out how to display the latest blog post on my home page of xoops.

If you are interested in seeing the site its located at http://razornylon.com

trabis
  • 2009/6/22 12:53

• trabis

• Core Developer

• Since: 2006/9/1 1

I did a test site with wordpress mu and XOOPS in same root folder here:
http://luso-blogs.net/
In my case index.php is the wordpress one.

I did not go further that you did.

I think you can get wordpress latest items using RSS feeds.
I did the opposite. I got wordpress has main page getting XOOPS feeds.

I'm not used to wordpress and probably I will give up on this site. The buddypress plugin is great.

optikool
  • 2009/6/30 8:43

• optikool

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/3/26

I also added wordpress to my XOOPS site. I was using weblog before but this blog had limited functionality and I had no idea what happened to the original developer and didn't want to continue developing it myself. I didn't want wordpress in the same folder as root... instead I put it in a folder called blog and modified an old impression module to create a link to the blog. Instead of have the impression module output a normal XOOPS page, I just modified the index.php redirect to my wordpress blog. I then modified the wordpress header and added the header from my XOOPS theme and customized the rest of wordpress to look like my main site. Last I used a news_feed module I created earlier to get the rss feed of new posts from wordpress and displayed it on my site. I had a friend take a look and he didn't know I was now using wordpress as my blog. If you want to take a look you can see my site here...http://www.optikool.com

Optikool

Login

Who's Online

181 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 181

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits