Brahma
XOOPS v1.0 upgrade problems / blank email configuration page
  • 2009/4/27 16:20

• Brahma

• Just popping in

• Since: 2002/8/28

I have been working on trying to get an upgrade going on a guild website that has been around for quite some time. We originally set this up with XOOPS v1.0 rc 3.0.5 (www.winterslegacy.com).

There have been several times in the past few years that I have started looking at upgrading this and every time I do I end up getting fed up and dropping the project. This time I have made it quite a bit further than any other attempt however I am running into a few issues that I hope someone can give some advice to.

First, I run my own server so I have the luxury of being able to create test databases/accounts/etc. on the fly.

currently working with:
mysql 4.0.20
php 4.3.7
apache 1.3.31

The oldest version of XOOPS I see available is 2.0.13. My first question is, is that the version I want to try to jump to or is there an earlier version I should try and find. Someone mentioned in a post I had made about a year ago that I might want to go to 2.0.0 however I don't see that version anywhere.

Right now the best I have been able to do, is take my current XOOPS database, duplicate it, and do an install of 2.0.13 pointing to it. Everything seems to go ok on the install, and for the most part it works however I have 1 major issue and 1 minor one.

big issue: If I go to preferences and email setup, I get a solid white/blank page. I have turned on the different trouble shooting modes and none of them gives me anything.

I get this with a clean/fresh load of my current site's database and a clean/fresh load of the XOOPS files. I could have sworn when I first started playing with this that it didn't do this (being able to send email through an authenticated smtp server is probably the highest reason for me wanting to upgrade) however every configuration I try does this now. If I start with a fresh 0 data, database it works.

I have done a bit of sql digging, and it may be that I could ignore this and directly change the configuration data I need in sql, but it would be nice to figure out why this isn't working.

One thought I have had is that maybe it is a problem with webmaster permissions? Since when I install using a pre-existing database there may be something with the old webmaster account?

I have had very little luck looking for information on upgrading a version this old.

second issue: user permissions (primarily group).

group permissions seem to break.. kind of. I see that newbb 1.0 is still packaged with 2.0.13, however the ability to deal with forum access by group seems to have gone away?

I am unable to add/remove site members from groups by going to the group modification administration area. There is a box at the bottom with a list of current people in a group, and a way to delete them, but no method to add them.

If I do a fresh install of XOOPS with a blank database, I am able to add and remove people in this area as I was able to do with the older version.

All in all, any information anyone has on upgrading this older version to more current versions would be greatly appreciated.

Any suggestion on version jumps past 2.0.13 if I can get these issues fixed?

Brahma
Re: XOOPS v1.0 upgrade problems / blank email configuration page
  • 2009/4/27 16:24

• Brahma

• Just popping in

P.S. I have stripped the old site of most modules to try and make this as easy as possible. Currently I still have 'quotes' and 'whosonline' but those could be removed.

The only thing I really need to retain through the upgrades is the forum and user tables. I don't want to loose 6+ years of posts and all the many user registrations.

Brahma
  • 2009/4/27 18:44

• Brahma

• Just popping in

didn't have php error messages turned on in php.ini.

the error I get trying to go to the mail settings now is:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 47 bytes) in /home/wlsite/htdocs/kernel/object.php on line 175

Brahma
  • 2009/4/27 19:05

• Brahma

• Just popping in

I remembered seeing another thread on memory usage and no email configuration page. I looked at that and someone mentioned upping the memory limit in the php.ini file. I went through several steps until I got success at 64mb.

when loading it pauses for a second at the spot where it displays the drop down list of users to send mail from. I expect in populating that list, if you have a large user base (I have around 600 I think), it may chew up a bunch of memory to do so.

Login

Who's Online

207 user(s) are online (123 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 207

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits