tzvook
Extanded profile module
  • 2009/1/7 17:33

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2003/2/1 2

I wonder if somebody has hacked the 2.2.x profile module to export user info to CSV or any other solution.

I got to say (I'm saying it for ages) that the profile modules (2.2.x or 2.3.x ) are too simple when dealing with a lot of user

Xoops is meant to be a community platform, and it don't give it's admins any manipulation ability over it's users.

I am saying it for year, and get comments from users that think it's for spam purposes.

we have some customers that uses XOOPS to manage their real (out of the web) community - like villages, organizations, etc' and all wants the ability to export data for office treatment.

It's hard for me to believe nobody had dealt with the issue.

I hope the next profile module will be much improved , but hope somebody made a hack for the 2.2.x series ...

Threads like this one:
-https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=66701&forum=20&post_id=301066#forumpost301066
-https://xoops.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=58084&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0
is just a few of hundreds over the years that shows how it's needed and not as a hack (and not just importing , but a full manipulation solution)

deka87
Re: Extanded profile module
  • 2009/1/7 17:46

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2007/10/5

I know that there is a "smart profile" module by smartfactory.ca and it has some new features over profile from XOOPS 2.2. as in regard to exporting user profiles what about exporting the user_profile sql table in a desired format like xml or xls it may look like this:

<username>#####</username>
<country>#######</coutry>

which can be edited like replacing all <country> by "Country:" and delete all </coutry> in any text editor... that's just an idea that may be helpful if you run out of ideas...
Mind anchors

tzvook
  • 2009/1/7 18:03

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

deka87 wrote:
I know that there is a "smart profile" module by smartfactory.ca and it has some new features over profile from XOOPS 2.2. as in regard to exporting user profiles what about export the user_profile sql table in a desired format like xml or xls it may look like this:

<username>#####</username>
<country>#######</coutry>

which can be edited like replace all <country> by "Country:" and delete all </coutry> in any text editor... that's just an idea that may be helpful if you run out of ideas...

Yep - manipulating via MySql (phpMyAdmin) is posible, but is not a solution for everyday needs and for sure is not a solution for customers.

My point of view is that this kind of solution is required and missing in XOOPS abilities, and as such must be a CORE/CORE-MODULE issue.

As long as you manage a small/unprofessional site/community , XOOPS is answering all your needs, but when you need to manage professional site you find a lot of small needed things. .... some are modules abilities and some are CORE abilities.
Managing users is tending to be CORE-MODULE or CORE issue...

Anyway - yep - 10x for reminding me the "smart profile" - I looked at it in the past and will try again ...

deka87
  • 2009/1/7 18:27

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

i think it's all about hacks when talking about personal needs. it's not possible to predict what exactly some dude would wnat on his website. i find XOOPS like just a big template where I try to add something personal and XOOPS forum is very useful for that. we've got to remember that it's a free cms. talking about exporting user profiles. i think you can do it yourself. just take any scrpt for exporting pdf (makepdf.php from the news module) from the root of the module and change the modulehandlers to your profile and replace the original script variables to the ones from profile module (like $uid, $coutry). must be easy even if you dont know php that much.
Mind anchors

tzvook
  • 2009/1/7 18:28

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

No importqexport @ smart profile module ...

I know a few open-source php scripts with the ability of working with CSV two of those are phplist and poMMo both handle custum fields in the import/export to CSV ...
poMMo allows you to select the fields of the CSV file and assign them to the profile fields in the database in the second stage of the import process.
phplist requires you to import CSV with the fields names in the first line ...

Those classes can probablybe used with the credits ...

tzvook
  • 2009/1/7 18:37

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

deka87 wrote:
i think it's all about hacks when talking about personal needs. it's not possible to predict what exactly some dude would wnat on his website. i find XOOPS like just a big template where I try to add something personal and XOOPS forum is very useful for that. we've got to remember that it's a free cms. talking about exporting user profiles. i think you can do it yourself. just take any scrpt for exporting pdf (like smartsection) from the root of the module and change the modulehandlers to your profile and replace the original script variables to the ones from profile module (like $uid, $coutry). must be easy even if you dont know php that much.

I'll do it myself when/If I won't have a choice, but since manipulating user data was discussed a lot over the years here ... it's time to deal with it.

When I ask a developer to do it for a customer - most of the time the rights for it stays in the habnds of the (paying) customer .... not finding it's way to the XOOPS community ...
I'm sure the web is full of such solutions which is quite pitty .... if those solutions were in the hand of the comunity - XOOPS was much widely used ....

tzvook
  • 2009/1/7 18:41

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

Quote:

deka87 wrote:
... i think you can do it yourself. just take any scrpt for exporting pdf (makepdf.php from the news module) from the root of the module and change the modulehandlers to your profile and replace the original script variables to the ones from profile module (like $uid, $coutry). must be easy even if you dont know php that much.

PDF and Hebrew don't like each other so much ... in xoops.
anyway CSV is a universal solution (any app use it @ win , mac Linux boxes)

deka87
  • 2009/1/7 18:58

• deka87

• Friend of XOOPS

i have troubles with hebrew in my rss module too. and arabic.and chinese haha. anyways if you come up with any solution let me know i think it might be useful too.
Mind anchors

nmshah
  • 2009/1/7 20:44

• nmshah

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/7/2 8

there was some module from freeformsolutions which needs to be installed with formulize module, i think it was called reg codes but not sure. If you use them together for handling user registration, then formulize can export the data in csv format if i am not mistaken.

tzvook
  • 2009/1/7 21:37

• tzvook

• Just can't stay away

10x nmshah
I'm using phpmyAdmin for years .... but am calling for core devs to think (at last) of giving a bit power in the hands of site admins to do some manipulations on site users ( Import , Export , mass actions like activate-users , unactivate users , etc' .... all are comon actions to make on users of bis systems.

I mean - it's not just the "export" action I \'m missing here ....

Login

Who's Online

220 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 220

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits