LPent
Templates, Themes and Best web practices
  • 2008/10/6 11:27

• LPent

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/10/3

I am currently trying out XOOPS to see if it is the CMS for me. As I am exploring the structure and the documentation I have two main questions.

1) As I understand it, a Template is the structure of a page (header, left column, content area, etc). A theme is how these template-areas look visually, and a module is what functionality is put inside these areas. Is this right?

2) I see that the basic template (and theme) are based on table-layouts. Does this mean XOOPS is incapable of CSS layouts? If not, where do I find a "default" template/theme that is tableless?

Anonymous
Re: Templates, Themes and Best web practices
  • 2008/10/6 11:44

• Anonymous

• Since:

Hello, and welsome to XOOPS

I'll try to help with your queries as best I can.

1. Templates come with modules and these control what is displayed within a module's blocks and on the modules index page. The XOOPS 2.3.0 download comes with a few modules (system, Protector, pm, profiles) and each of these has html templates in its /templates and /templates/blocks folders.

The XOOPS "core" uses the "system" module.

Themes control how a module and its blocks display, i.e. the overall "look" of a XOOPS site, via a combination of theme.html and style.css

Templates will look different depending upon what theme is in use.

2. You are correct in that the default XOOPS theme uses a table-based design. However, there are a number of css-based, tableless themes available so XOOPS is certainly capable of using them.

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to point you in the right direction

Login

Who's Online

442 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 442

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits