dcarson
RSS feed error
  • 2008/7/22 23:51

• dcarson

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/7/22

The newspaper I work for has a Website - www.cnewspubs.com - that allows its topics to be turned into RSS feeds. I checked, it's enabled.

[For a sample of the issue, go to www.cnewspubs.com/pets and click on one of the topic links on the right side of the page and then click the RSS button to the top.]

Problem is, when you click on the RSS button, it gives the following error:

XML Parsing Error: syntax error
Location:http://cnewspubs.com/pets/modules/news/backendt.php?topicid=23
Line Number 1, Column 1:This page cannot be displayed due to an internal error.<br/><br/>You can provide the following information to the administrators of this site to help them solve the problem:<br /><br />Error: Smarty error: unable to write to $cache_dir '/cache'. Be sure $cache_dir is writable by the web server user.<br /><div style='color:#ffffff;background-color:#ffffff'>Backtrace:<br />/class/smarty/Smarty.class.php (1095)
^

I have no clue what it means or how to go about fixing it.

I believe our XOOPS version is 2. I'm not sure. I don't know what to do to get the feeds to work.

They were working just fine up until a week ago.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Debbie
dcarson@cnewspubs.com

Mamba
Re: RSS feed error
  • 2008/7/23 3:31

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

If it worked before, then it looks like somebody changed the permissions to the directories:

/cache
/template_c

You would have to find out who has admin permissions to access them (e.g. via FTP) and set them to 755
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

dcarson
  • 2008/7/23 12:26

• dcarson

• Just popping in

Thanks, I passed along the response to our IT guy. I'll let you know if that worked. Keep fingers crossed.

dcarson
  • 2008/7/29 19:42

• dcarson

• Just popping in

It worked! The feeds are up and running - but now I have another problem...

Often, when I click one of the topics and then the RSS icon, it doesn't give me a feed for that individual topic. Instead, it's the last five items that were posted to the main page.

For instance: www.cnewspubs.com/sports

Click "Community Call-outs" in the topic list on the right. The url changes from www.cnewspubs.com/sports/modules/news tohttp://cnewspubs.com/sports/modules/news/index.php?storytopic=63 - like it should. It shows those items posted under that topic.

The problem is, when I subscribe to that feed, it gives me the last five articles posted in general.

This is no good!! I wanted to create a widget/blidget with the "community call-outs" for the left side of the page so our readers can quickly see what signups are coming up for youth sports.

Any ideas???

Deb

dcarson@cnewspubs.com

happyman55
  • 2008/8/6 5:21

• happyman55

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/15

thanks it work.

Login

Who's Online

180 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 180

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits