jdseymour
Hourly work seems bad for business

Hi all.

Just venting a little steam. Moved a XOOPS site and two gallery sites heavily tied to cgi for business to a new server. Old server was MySQL 3 php 3, redhat 3, just a plainout old server.

During the move I came across all sorts of compat (mainly PHP 5 problems) worked through them of course one at a time (mostly wf-section, x-movie, and tinycontent gave the most troubles.) Cgi hell. Do not remember how many files were hard coded with the path. Had to search each and every file on two sites to fix. And of course tied to a set of splash pages designed in frontpage.
After constant discussions with the client about the troubles, he says my work is worth 10% of what I put into it.
The sites are now very clean and easy to maintain. This was just a major upgrade move to newer server architecture and newer server software. And with a site or sites neglected for 4 or 5 years it takes time to get them in order.
I will work it out with him, I always do. But man, you bust your behind on doing a (not just good, but great job and you get an offer of 10% of the value.
Again, just venting. and still smiling.

iHackCode
Re: Hourly work seems bad for business

its your knowledge and years of experience that made it go much smoother and you make it look so easy.
CBB / LatestNews / Publisher / XM-Spotlight

(ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧

Mamba
Re: Hourly work seems bad for business
  • 2008/7/10 3:17

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

I admire you for still smiling!!!
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Login

Who's Online

162 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 162

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits