Mamba
Module Packs for XOOPS 2.3
  • 2008/5/21 13:02

• Mamba

• Since: 2004/4/23

For XOOPS 2.3 we would like to have a series of Module Packs (e.g. Basic, Commerce, Web, Community). The Basic Pack will be included in the main distribution of XOOPS, so the user will have first class "out of box" experience.

Existing examples of Packs:

1) Original XOOPS Packs by Mith
2) Updated XOOPS Packs by Sato-san
3) XOOPSFACIL (Core + Basic Modules)

Please help us with defining what should be in those packs:

Basic:

Personal:

Intranet:

Commerce:

Web:

Community:

Other packs?
Support XOOPS => DONATE
Use 2.5.10 | Docs | Modules | Bugs

Anonymous
Re: Module Packs for XOOPS 2.3
  • 2008/5/21 14:15

• Anonymous

• Since:

A basic pack can be helpfull for people new to xoops. Creating too many packs is not good for module development I guess. I more like the idea of comparison charts and articles about similar modules. With information about the difference in features and compatibility info. Using that information people themselves can choose the modules best fitting their situation/ site.

noo-b
  • 2008/5/22 0:53

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

i don't know how to categorize, but this is list of module i suggested

smartpartner
newbb/newbbex/d3forum,
multimenu
contactus/liaise
extcal
rssfit/planet/
exgal/myalbum
yogurt
News
XoopsTube/InTheTube/VideoTube,
Mylinks/Wflinks,weblinks
popupnblog/lifetype/wordpress
mydownloads,/wf-downloads/d3download,
smartsection/ams/wfsection/pico,tinyd
membership, xmmember-stats
umfrage/xoopspoll,
xoopsfaq
protector
backup
xoopscare + xoopsinfo

* some of the module, should be update first before included in the pack and no any vulnerabilities

eg rssfit - in the social network environment nowadays rss is important..

you have to edit some line to make this work in xoops
http://www.brandycoke.com/home/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=221&forum=7
I Love Xoops

Catzwolf
  • 2008/5/22 2:06

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Protector hopefully will not be required for XOOPS 2.3.1, we are working on a solution for common problems that this module deals with.

Another issue that you touched on is the problem with many of the XOOPS modules not working now due to register_globals or some of the security problem many others have.

Dj and I have discussed several methods that we could introduce that could get most of these modules working again. Like a pseudo register global function as a last ditch attempt to get the bad modules working again. However the security issues again arises to how safe this would be.

We have created a new class that deals with sanitation of global and super global right at the XOOPS startup. We have also created a few other classes to help developers increase security when dealing with user input etc. But we will give you more information in due course.

To make sure modules are safe before we include them as a package will be one almighty task. At the moment a lot of my time and effort will be on the core rather than module development or fixing bugs.

So I would like to invite developers out there to 'adopt a module' scheme that I am currently thinking about. Where a developer or developers come in and help clean up some of the modules that are either known for security problems or just don't work anymore.

Tell me what your developers think of this and if you think we can work together to bring some of these modules back to a working condition. Hopefully this will be in time before we introduce a lot of newer functions, classes that have written to make life easier for developers to write the next generation of XOOPS modules.

Who is up for it then?

Catz

voltan
  • 2008/5/22 3:50

• voltan

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2006/12/5

In irxoops.org ( Persian support ) I ready a professional pack for XOOPS 2.0.18 with this modules

# protector 3.15
# sitemap 1.3
# news 1.56
# extgallery 1.0.3
# altsys 0.56a
# multiMenu 1.18.2
# whatsnew 1.22
# xhelp 0.79
# shortcuts 1.4
# shoutbox 4
# smartfaq 1.0.8
# waiting 0.95
# wfdownloads 3.1
# mediawiki 1.58
# article 1
# smartpartner 2
# weblinks 1.81
# xoopspoll 1
# smartsection 2.13
# backpack 0.88
# mastop_go2
# newbb 4
# pico1.60
# rw_banner1.5
# tag 1.16
# tinyeditor1.0
# MadLiens 2
# Marquee 2.42
# Mastop Publish 1.1
# d3pipes 0.59
# SmartObject Framework 0.92
# d3forum 0.81
# happy_linux 1.21
# xoopsvisit
# yogurt
http://www.irxoops.org/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=13&lid=218

==========================================
and same user need more ability for example :
1-weblog system ! (wordpress module is good )
2-better menu builder system !
3-profile system !
4-a module for build forms ( for example Contact us ) and this module can save info in XOOPS DB or send info to mail ( each form can send info to one or several mail)
5- shop system ! ( kshop is not nice for same user)
6- poll system ! ( better from XOOPS poll )

noo-b
  • 2008/5/23 5:08

• noo-b

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2007/10/23

Quote:

Protector hopefully will not be required for XOOPS 2.3.1, we are working on a solution for common problems that this module deals with.

Great..hope this to be a reality..Protector is a must have module for all XOOPS site..and making it built in the core will be fantastic

Quote:

Dj and I have discussed several methods that we could introduce that could get most of these modules working again. Like a pseudo register global function as a last ditch attempt to get the bad modules working again. However the security issues again arises to how safe this would be.

..i wish i could help to fix all the broken/unsafe module but im a total php/mysql noo-b....hope to see XOOPS developers working on this to put XOOPS on top...the place where it should be ...
I Love Xoops

Catzwolf
  • 2008/5/23 6:09

• Catzwolf

• Home away from home

• Since: 2007/9/30

Quote:

Great..hope this to be a reality..Protector is a must have module for all XOOPS site..and making it built in the core will be fantastic

We didn't use protector at all for the new code at all. What we did do is create two new classes to help with deal with userinput and one for core level to filter out malicious code from globals and superglobals. Both have yet to be properly tested, but I am hopeful that we shall see these implemented within 2.3.1.

Quote:

..i wish i could help to fix all the broken/unsafe module but im a total php/mysql noo-b....hope to see XOOPS developers working on this to put XOOPS on top...the place where it should be ...

There is still nothing stopping anyone from helping if they don't have developer skills, there would still be plenty of things you and anyone else for that matter could help with. But We still have to discus this matter in full yet, hopefully at the next developer meeting :)

Catz

sarahmx
  • 2008/5/23 10:23

• sarahmx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/10/28

i use this in my community website

Community: newbbex, yogurt, news, umfrage, xoopsfaq, mylinks, xmemberstats, mydowloads, smartsection, protector, inthetube,rssfit

kris_fr
  • 2008/5/23 22:20

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

hi,

look this french article by Solo71

@++

jimmyx
  • 2008/5/24 11:54

• jimmyx

• Quite a regular

• Since: 2007/7/18

great list of module recommendation there by solo, voltan & noob

em..why was the modules packages discontinued last time ?

this will help a lot of new users

suggestion : what if a simple content manager is built in to the core like other cms ? so user can manage content without using module...if there want extra feature they can use module....2 cents

Login

Who's Online

211 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 211

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits