waylock
Understanding Relationships of the common Xoops objects
  • 2008/3/7 4:33

• waylock

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/3/7 3

I am new to Xoops. Thus far, have got the basic site up and running. I've added some modules but haven't really gotten very far on content. I've spent the last week reading through the forums, trying different settings, looking at various XOOPS sites, but I feel that I'm missing a basic foundation to the relationship of everything in Xoops. I am a novice with respects to web development.

Goal: I want to use XOOPS to help me build a website for my small business. Initally, I want to be able to use the space as a way to develop the content and copy. Then I'll graduate into the more advance but fun features offered like wiki's, blogs, form and eventually a small webstore perhaps.

If someone could help lead me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Text - I've created a module and just added some text to it and go it to show up in the center-topcenter location, just beneath the banner. How does one take it to the next step in creating the content of multiple pages of a given website?

2. If I wanted to add a basic menu bar across the top of my site, just beneath the banner, how would I do that. I've installed the multimenu module, but I'm not getting very far.

3. On the Home Page, I'm trying to achieve a design where the page has a My Corp Banner at the top, a menu bar like in #2 and then the page will be divide into 3 columns with 3 menus as headings for each of the colums. There will be text in the top (under the menu)of each column and then links (to other pages) for my various offered services or products, depending on the column. How can I create this in Xoops? There is a very bad static example of what I'm trying to create for my home page at TINCG Under Construction.

4. Overall, how does one go about customizing or molding a XOOPS site into something of their own? Do I need to create my own template to do this?

Thank you for you help!

GPboarder
Re: Understanding Relationships of the common Xoops objects
  • 2008/3/11 20:21

• GPboarder

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2006/10/6

Welcome to XOOPS.

You are right where I was about a year ago and I can tell you that some of the relationships are tough to understand. If you figure out the difference between themes and templates, you will be doing well.

In answer to your questions, I suggest that you look around and find a theme that you like. Then fiddle with it to make it your own. Remember to give credit where credit is due to the original tehme creator.

I would suggest that as a first step to creating your own theme. The menu bar that you want may already exist in a theme and you can just change the colour scheme and links to your own.
Optimism is the mother of disappointment.

Login

Who's Online

159 user(s) are online (119 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 159

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits