tonyo
Help - I'm locked out!
  • 2008/1/14 16:11

• tonyo

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/12/19

This is very embarrassing! I appear to be locked out of my site. Let me tell you how this happened.

Firstly I wanted my anonymous users to be able to view the forums but not post or edit anything. So I changed the permissions to reflect that.

I tested the new permissions in a different browser (Firefox) while still logged in as the admin in IE7 and found that although I thought I had set the default permissions, they were still not allowing anonymous users to access the forums at all.

I intended to drop you a line here in the hope that someone might know what I'd done wrong but was distracted for a while and forgot about it.

Later, I made some other changes to the system, installed a new theme and suchlike. Then I made a fatal error...

In the general preferences, I set the front page to show the forums. Then I got distracted again and had to go out. Doh!

The next day when I tried to get to my site, I found it was stuck in a loop. When the front page loads I guess it tries to load the forums but then realises that I am not logged in and so I get a message that says, "You don't have the right to access this forum. If the page does not automatically reload, please click here."

The page reloads a few times and then I get a blank page so there is no way that I can gain access.

Is there any way that I can somehow log in as the admin so that I can put this right?

Also, does anyone know why my permissions were ignored in the first place?

Thanks in anticipation.

Tony

stefan88
Re: Help - I'm locked out!
  • 2008/1/14 16:22

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

go to yoursite/user.php ...

tonyo
  • 2008/1/14 16:49

• tonyo

• Just popping in

Thanks Stefan, that's got me back into the site and I've now set it to put some content on the front page till I can get this permissions problem sorted out.

Does anyone have any ideas about why the permissions for the forums won't allow anonymous users to access them, even when I've specifically set them to allow anonymous users to access and view?

Thanks again,

Tony

stefan88
  • 2008/1/14 17:37

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi,

you does not say what module you are using ... it may help

Keep in mind, that some XOOPS modules need permition settings at two places - XOOPS permitions and module itself. For the XOOPS go to admin -> system -> groups and select the group (in your case Anonymous) and set module and block access rights.

For the module it depends and some modules does not have permitions settings

tonyo
  • 2008/1/14 19:27

• tonyo

• Just popping in

Thanks for that. I'm using CBB v3.08.

Tony

tonyo
  • 2008/1/22 21:47

• tonyo

• Just popping in

Bump! Sorry chaps, I've tried everything and I just can't make the forums appear for anonymous users which is a pity because I really wanted to have the forums on our front page.

I have done as Stefan suggested but I have obviously gone wrong somewhere along the line.

It is possible that I've missed something out? Should I have done something else that was not in Stefan's post?

Many thanks,

Tony

Login

Who's Online

199 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 199

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits