walhutsky
Footer Problem
  • 2008/1/10 16:12

• walhutsky

• Just popping in

• Since: 2008/1/10

Hi, I'm currently using the 7dana-clean theme for my website and I'm running XOOPS version 2.0.18 and PHP5. It seems ever since I upgraded to verson 2.0.17 I've been having the footer incorrectly placed on the right column of the page instead of at the bottom where it should be. I've tried changing the theme.html file but I haven't been able to fix it. Would anyone be able to give me any suggestions on what I can try to do in order to fix it.

My website address where the problem is occuring is www.splatinvestigations.com.

Thanks!

Will_H
Re: Footer Problem
  • 2008/1/10 16:25

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

Try wrapping it in a table.

yours:
<div id="copyright">
  <
div align="center"><span id="designBy">Design by <a href="http://www.7dana.com" target="_blank">7dana.com</a></span></div>
</
div>

try:
<table width="100%">
<
tr>
<
td>
<
div id="copyright">
  <
div align="center"><span id="designBy">Design by <a href="http://www.7dana.com" target="_blank">7dana.com</a></span></div>
</
div>
</
td>
</
tr>
</
table>

I believe your issue is incorrectly nested elements somewhere, but there is just too much going on for me to dig through your source to find it.

Validation may help.

stefan88
  • 2008/1/10 17:09

• stefan88

• Community Support Member

• Since: 2004/9/20

Hi

Quote:
I've tried changing the theme.html file but I haven't been able to fix it.

You may need to clean template_c folder (delete all files except index.html) to see the changes you made ...

walhutsky
  • 2008/1/10 19:51

• walhutsky

• Just popping in

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it. Unfortunately the problem is still occurring. I added the table code and cleaned out my template_c folder. I may just end up changing themes even though I really do like the one I'm using now. This one just seems to possibly have incompatibility issues and 7dana.com (where I got the theme) doesn't look like it's been updated in a very long time. I've tried contacting them but have gotten no reply.

In regards to validation I've tried validating it before and I get hundreds of errors. I didn't know what to think of the results at first but I tried validating some popular websites and got even higher amounts of errors. I figured if other sites have errors then mine is nothing to worry about. Should I worry about code not passing validation?

Will_H
  • 2008/1/10 21:30

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

Many people do not worry about it. However, if you were to set up a little test site, with nothing on it except blocks that act as space holders (L,TL, TC, TR, BL, BC, BR, R).

Then you could more easily validate just the theme and not all the content. Validation, in many cases, helps fix problems of this nature. I stand by my improperly nested elements. You may find that the quick fix is as easy as killing a couple tables prior to the footer. Since you really aren't worried about standards it could produce the quick result you are looking for.

ie. Prior to your footer code throw in a couple...

</table>
</table>
</table>

Think of it as the myspace solution. (please don't tell the other theme designers that I am encouraging no compliant practices.... they will tease me for months.. )

kris_fr
  • 2008/1/10 22:51

• kris_fr

• Theme Designer

• Since: 2005/12/31

hi,

also, replace target='_blank' by rel="external" and add to xoops.js this code (at the end)
// external hypertext links
function externalLinks() {
 if (!
document.getElementsByTagName) return;
 var 
anchors document.getElementsByTagName("a");
 for (var 
i=0i<anchors.lengthi++) {
   var 
anchor anchors[i];
   if (
anchor.getAttribute("href") &&

anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "external")

anchor.target "_blank";
 }
}
window.onload externalLinks;// external hypertext links
function externalLinks() {
 if (!
document.getElementsByTagName) return;
 var 
anchors document.getElementsByTagName("a");
 for (var 
i=0i<anchors.lengthi++) {
   var 
anchor anchors[i];
   if (
anchor.getAttribute("href") &&

anchor.getAttribute("rel") == "external")

anchor.target "_blank";
 }
}
window.onload externalLinks;

Valid xthml and css

if you wish it you can replace all the target blank your files by rel= " external "

@++

mboyden
  • 2008/1/10 22:57

• mboyden

• Since: 2005/3/9 1

Validation is a good thing because if you have valid code, then it's highly likely that it will display almost the same on every (compatible) browser. Troubleshooting your code can be tough, but you should take the time to do so. Start simple and build up from there validating at each major step. I'll note that some modules put out poor code, though, so you'll have to account for that at times and fix it in their templates (or worse case, in the code for those that wrongly put HTML in the functional layer). Not a simple fix, but appropriate.
Pessimists see difficulty in opportunity; Optimists see opportunity in difficulty. --W Churchill

XOOPS: Latest | Debug | Hosting and Web Development

walhutsky
  • 2008/1/11 0:24

• walhutsky

• Just popping in

Ok. I'm not sure why I didn't notice this before but no matter what theme I use the footer is still messed up and off to the right side of the page. Whatever is causing this isn't tied to a theme.

BlueStocking

You can see where it is and make the adjustments from there.

do a view source and save the file onto your desktop.

fix according to needs with notepad or like program.

re-upload.

http://www.splatinvestigations.com/themes/7clean/theme.html

MAKE BACKUP copy of theme.html to have in case of mis-step.

http://hardhunting.com/themes/bluehue/theme.html

Note the difference where the footer is located.

Maybe this will help...

BlueStocking
https://xoops.org/modules/repository .. It is time to get involved - XOOPS.ORG

Will_H
  • 2008/1/18 23:12

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

...again, its your content. disable one by one until fixed.

once you know which block is causing the problem its much easier to fix.

Login

Who's Online

126 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 126

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits