charlieg
changing pictures and banner in a theme
  • 2007/12/21 14:32

• charlieg

• Just popping in

• Since: 2007/12/21

This is probably a rehash of a very basic question, but I have been looking for 3 days for the answer with no joy!! I have installed the theme Fiblue3d and it displays fine. I cannot find out how to put my banner and other site pictures onto my home page. It also mentions putting the template into phpBB/templates/ which I cannot find, so do I need to create this directory in FTP? These are very basic questions but, please could I have an answer as opposed to chasing links. This is my first design so please excuse my total ignorance and I would appreciate [but not essential!] a step by step guide, thanks in advance, charlie.

wizanda
Re: changing pictures and banner in a theme
  • 2007/12/21 14:53

• wizanda

• Home away from home

• Since: 2004/3/21

First you need to go to this link then this one................

The Banners is built into XOOPS and you should find this in the admin, your theme needs to have <{$xoops_banner}> for it to show where you want....

As for PHPBB i haven't looked at it for ages and unsure if it uses templates, yet XOOPS does...so if something has been directed to that folder for some unknown reason, you can add that folder if needed, to point to what ever needs directing there....

charlieg
  • 2007/12/21 17:38

• charlieg

• Just popping in

Thank you very much for the rapid response, just going thru all those links now Tee Hee!! In a nutshell, I go into admin/system/banners but [huge gulp] using "add a new banner" [at the bottom].....
1. Do I have to make myself a new client?
2. Impressions purchased - well, none because I'm broke.
3. Image URL - I can upload and use this, phew.
4. Code HTML - Is this where I insert the change to the existing banner? FE if it is the XOOPS banner, do I re-name my banner as xoops_banner and forget this bit?

I can get my banner up to the admin part of the site, I just cannot seem to be able to insert it onto the home page. I am now a confirmed newbie thicky exclam.

script_fu

I try not to delete the pre installed client in the banner section. Just edit the client to what you want it to be.

As for the rest just take your time and click on things and try to understand how it works. You will need to spend a little time getting use to XOOPS and how it works.

The box is for a custom banner. You can either upload a new banner with the system or use the box for custom html code to display a banner that you going to pull from another location.

I have had to use the custom code box before because the client didn't want the banner to click through to anywhere.

The client only wanted the banner to display advertising for certain things on his site. It didn't make sense for the banner to display an ad about his own site. Then someone click on it only to be lead back to same same site they were already on.

Thats just one example of how to use the custom code block in the banner section. I just pulled the banner with no link code from another location/folder.

Anyway enjoy the process. XOOPS makes it easy!

script_fu

I also see where you say the banners don't display?

Is this code in your theme.html???

<{$xoops_banner}>

if it is then maybe you turned off the banners in admin >>> prefrences...

script_fu

Also another word of warning.

I do not delete the banner client already installed with xoops.

I do not delete the stock XOOPS banners either. I always overwrite them with other banners I want to use. That way your banners number system remains correct.

Say you have XOOPS banner 1 2 & 3 all you do is edit the banners with what you want... do not delete...

I have found that if you delete the default banners XOOPS still try's to pull them.

So what you end up with is a blank banner/broken one.

Always edit the banner section never delete...

Will_H
  • 2007/12/21 18:33

• Will_H

• Friend of XOOPS

• Since: 2004/10/10

I am pretty sure he is not talking about banners (as in ads) but in banners (as in logos).

script_fu

Quote:

Will_H wrote:
I am pretty sure he is not talking about banners (as in ads) but in banners (as in logos).

Hey Will whats up???

You must have missed post #3...
Sounds like the banner section to me...

charlieg
  • 2007/12/21 18:55

• charlieg

• Just popping in

Sorry, the blame is probably mine - the banner or large logo on the home page, top centre, I want to replace with a .gif photo, 1000 pixels wide by 100 high. I hope this clears it up. Image manager next?

script_fu

So if we are talking about a banner... At this point I am not sure myself...

Right click the banner you want to change on the front of the website to find out the name of it.

Then go to the admin banner section and edit the name of the banner you just learned from the front of the website.

You will see Example: >>> Image URL:http://localhost/xoops-2.0.17.1/images/banners/xoops_banner.gif

Change this file name to your .gif file name and upload your banner to the same location as the other banners based on the image url above.

-----

Thats a pretty big banner that you want to display... Post back if its not displaying at the size you just listed.

Maybe you will need to edit a core file to display that size of a banner I am not sure. But lets get one thing working at a time first.

-----

If its not the banner we are talking about then it would be a theme related question...

Please clarify or give us a link... Heck the file name your are trying to replace would clarify it...

Login

Who's Online

240 user(s) are online (170 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 240

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: May 31
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits