Cozzie
Server won't allow rewrite, what can I do?
  • 2007/11/23 8:46

• Cozzie

• Not too shy to talk

• Since: 2007/7/13

Hi

I really want to use the url rewrite on the modules, smartsection and newbb (so that the urls are rewritten as relevant to the page content).

I've checked with my server and they say they don't allow rewrite on shared servers, so can anyone advise me on what is the best thing to do?

Do I need to pay for a dedicated server (9 times as expensive!)?

Or should I change server host (do other hosts allow rewrite on shared servers)?

Thanks a lot for any tips

Northern
Re: Server won't allow rewrite, what can I do?
  • 2007/11/23 9:23

• Northern

• Just can't stay away

• Since: 2004/12/26

Personly... i have no problems with rewite mods, as long as my customers use it with respect to the rest of the server members.

Marc

Peekay
Re: Server won't allow rewrite, what can I do?
  • 2007/11/23 12:09

• Peekay

• XOOPS is my life!

• Since: 2004/11/20

To be honest, we get pretty good SEO results from XOOPS sites even with dynamic URLs. Most search engines don't have a problem with them now. I find the key to success is to ensure the theme validates, the module code validates (which can be hard work sometimes) and the content is semantically correct - i.e. it's encapsulated correctly in heading and paragraph tags. The standard XOOPS DHTML editor won't put anything in a paragraph by default, so a WYSIWYG editor is better really.

The latest versions of 'News' and 'SmartSection' automate the creation of meta information. You could also try the XBS Meta-Tags module. This creates meta data from content and you can use regex to fine-tune it (although I had a few problems with the regex function). The module is listed in the repository but the link is broken so you'll need to download it from the developer's site at www.xoobs.net.

I don't run any sites with a forum, so I'm not sure how NewbBB or CBB fare with SEO, but I often come across posts on xoops.org when researching a subject using Google.
A thread is for life. Not just for Christmas.

Login

Who's Online

250 user(s) are online (153 user(s) are browsing Support Forums)

Members: 0

Guests: 250

more...

Donat-O-Meter

Stats
Goal: $100.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Gross Amount: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Left to go: $100.00
Make donations with PayPal!

Latest GitHub Commits